Coconut Mug Cake (Paleo, Gluten Free)
This single serving, fluffy coconut mug cake cooks in the microwave in less than two minutes. The cake is also wheat flour free, paleo, and gluten free.
I’m so happy to hear that many of you are enjoying my paleo mug cakes. So far I’ve shared a paleo blueberry almond mug cake and a paleo chocolate mug cake. Today I’m sharing a paleo coconut mug cake.
Many paleo recipes use coconut flour as a substitute for wheat flour, so creating a coconut mug cake just made a lot of sense to me. While I’m usually trying to hide the coconut taste from using coconut flour, this recipe embraces the coconut flavor.
I love all things coconut, so this was a lot of fun to recipe test. I also like that coconut has a natural sweetness, so you can reduce the amount of sugar you add to the mug cake.
- You need to make this cake in an oversized mug (16 oz – 20 oz). The cake rises quite high during cooking before sinking back down. If you attempt to use a smaller mug, the batter will spill out during cooking. It will also collapse unevenly when finished. Using a larger mug will give it ample room to expand and the structure to hold its shape when it condenses back down.
- Almond flour is not a substitute for coconut flour in this recipe. It isn’t just about flavor. Coconut flour absorbs liquids in a way that almond flour doesn’t. I use this brand* of coconut flour.
- When the cake is finished cooking, it will have pulled away from the sides of the mug. You can then use a very large spoon to scoop the cake out in one piece and plate it into a smaller (8 oz) mug.
*Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Paleo Coconut Mug Cake
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (I used this brand)*
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted (see note below; use virgin coconut oil to keep it paleo)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder (commercial baking powder is not paleo so you may need to make your own homemade paleo baking powder)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp shredded unsweetened coconut + additional for garnish
- In a large oversized microwave-safe mug (16 oz – 20 oz), add all ingredients except shredded coconut. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth and egg has been completely beaten in.
- Stir in 1 tbsp of shredded coconut.
- Cook cake in microwave at full power for about 1 minute 30 seconds. Cake will initially rise very high before sinking back down when it stops cooking. Allow cake to cool a few minutes before eating. If you want a nicer presentation, you can remove the cake from the large mug and place it into a smaller (around 8 oz) mug. Garnish with more shredded coconut if desired. I topped mine with a mix of unsweetened toasted shredded coconut and coconut flakes.
- If you are using solid coconut oil, measure out 1 tbsp and then melt in the microwave until liquid.
- Please review detailed recipe tips right above the recipe box.
- *Some of the product links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!