4 Ingredient Nutella Mug Cake
This single serving Nutella mug cake is just 4 ingredients and eggless! It cooks in the microwave in about 1 minute.
My theme for this weekend was to simplify. I’ve been making a lot of cookies that require only three or four ingredients lately. The reason why they work so well is because one of the key ingredients (such as Nutella) already has many other ingredients contained within it. So instead of adding more oil, sugar, etc, you just use what is already in the spread and add only the essentials.
I have been wanting to get back to my mug cake series and I thought the perfect way to ease in would be to simplify some of my mug cakes. So I started with one of my favorites, my pure Nutella mug cake. And I took a look at the ingredients. Did I really need all this stuff? Sugar when Nutella is so sweet? Oil when there is already oil in the spread? Did I even need the egg? The answer is no.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
I cut out all the ingredients I didn’t think were needed and kept the essentials. Just four ingredients. This Nutella cake is fluffy and delicious with chocolate hazelnut flavor throughout.
The cake crumb is a little loose without the egg acting as a binding agent, but since you’re eating it out of a mug, it shouldn’t be an issue.
The original recipe was 1015 calories (I know I know! It’s a lot. But the mug cake makes 1-2 servings, so if you share, it’s not quite as bad.) The new recipe is only 531 calories. So not only does the recipe become easier, but half the calories are gone too. And it tastes just as good! And if you share this one, then you’re only ingesting around 265 calories.
For more yummy Nutella recipes, check out my entire Nutella recipe collection.
If you love mug cakes, you can check out many more mug cake recipes.
I also have a category of 4-or-less ingredient recipes.
Hot Off the Press!
Check out my 5-Minute Mug Cakes cookbook, featuring nearly 100 recipes including this one and many never-before-published new ones.
Post now updated with video!
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup Nutella spread
- 3 tbsp fat free milk
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Combine all ingredients into an oversized microwave-safe mug. Mix with a small whisk until batter is smooth. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. If cake is not cooked in one minute, add an additional 20 seconds. Let cake cool a few minutes in the mug before eating.
- If you are making this recipe for the first time, I recommend starting with a mug that holds at least 12 oz of liquid. Once you’ve made it once and you see how much the cake rises, you can reduce your mug size for a better presentation.
- The batter is best mixed with a small whisk. Some people try to use a fork but it is hard to get the batter completely smooth using a fork. You need to make sure your batter is smooth and the egg is completely mixed into the batter before cooking it.
- Spoon out the flour 1 tbsp at a time and level it off. Because this recipe has so few ingredients, a little extra flour can make the cake dry.
- Microwaves can vary in power and strength so you may need to cook a little less or a little more than the time recommended. Because this cake cooks so fast, I recommend adding time at 20 second intervals so you don’t overcook the cake.
- Feel free to add frosting, powdered sugar, or other toppings to the cake. I like eating my cakes plain so I kept it plain.
- The best way to wash the mug is to let it soak in water for an hour or so before washing.