Mudslide cookies are rich, chocolate cookies with walnuts. This recipe is Jacques Torres’ recipe that calls for about two pounds of chocolate which create a cookie with an intense chocolate flavor. They are chewy with bites of crunchy walnuts.
I recently came across the recipe for Jacques Torres’s chocolate mudslide cookies and I was excited to try them because I love his chocolate chip cookie recipe.
These cookies require a lot of chocolate. A lot. My new supply of chocolate is almost gone after making these because the dough is made with mostly melted unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate. It calls for just as much chopped bittersweet chocolate to be added as the chips.
The recipe also calls for walnuts, which I was a little hesitant to add since I don’t particularly like nuts in my cookies. But I wanted to stay true to the recipe so I added them. They actually give the cookies a nice crunchy texture.
One thing to keep in mind with this recipe is that the dough is very sticky and messy to work with. But the results are worth it because the cookies are really good. Rich and intensely chocolatey.
- Unsweetened chocolate
- Bittersweet chocolate
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Chopped walnuts
- Chopped bittersweet chocolate
How to Make Them
Melt the unsweetened and bittersweet chocolate in a bowl and stir until smooth.
In a bowl, combine the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly between each addition. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
Add the melted chocolate, walnuts, and chopped chocolate and stir to combine.
Drop the dough by the spoonful on a prepared baking sheet. Bake the cookies for 16 minutes.
The cookies come out of the oven with a shiny, crackly exterior like a brownie. They have a chewy and crunchy texture from the nuts.
Overall, I enjoyed these cookies but because they use so much chocolate, I’m not sure how often I would make them. I can see making them for a special occasion and sticking with my other easier chocolate cookies for everyday cookies.
More Gourmet Cookie Recipes
- Levain Bakery Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Ad Hoc Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Momofuku Compost Cookies
- Levain Bakery Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
Jacques Torres' Chocolate Mudslide Cookies
- 6 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 16 oz bittersweet chocolate
- 6 tbsp butter
- 2 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 1/4 cups plus 1 tbsp walnuts chopped
- 16 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Melt the unsweetened and bittersweet chocolates together and set aside
- Place the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and mix until combined. Add the eggs 1 at a time. Add in the flour, baking powder and salt and mix just until combined. Add the melted chocolate. Stir in the walnuts and chopped chocolate pieces.
- Spoon small mounds of the dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet. If you want to make giant cookies, use an ice cream scoop instead. Space the dough mounds evenly and bake in a preheated 350°F convection oven for 16 minutes.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.