This incredibly easy mug bread cooks in the microwave! You can make low carb, keto, paleo and gluten free bread that is ready in less than 10 minutes.
I’m pretty excited to share this recipe with you today. Not only is it super easy to make, but it really tastes like bread. It also looks like bread, slices like bread, and tears like bread too.
Of course it’s not your traditional yeast-rising bread. This is a low carb, keto and paleo friendly bread made with almond flour. But it’s pretty darn close to regular bread in taste and texture.
You can tear it or slice it like real bread and it is sturdy and holds up well for sandwiches, toast, etc.
How to make the bread
To make the bread, you need four main ingredients: almond flour, egg, oil, and baking powder. That’s it.
If desired, you can add a pinch of salt, or add dried herbs to change the flavor of your bread.
The bread is made in the microwave and it cooks in under 3 minutes. When it’s done, you remove the bread from your mug and you can slice it up. I’ve also made a peanut butter bread this way that is ket0-friendly, so you might like to check out that one, too.
This recipe makes enough for six round slices of bread approximately 2 ½ inches in diameter and ½ inch thick, so you will need a tall and wide mug that holds at least 16 ounces of liquid.
You should use a wide mug because if your mug is too narrow, it will be difficult to cook the bread all the way through and your bread slices will be very small. The mug I used is 4 inches tall and 3 ¼ inches wide.
And of course, since this bread is being cooked in the microwave, make sure your mug is also microwave-safe!
How to Serve the Bread
The small rounds can be used for sliders, small sandwiches, canapes, fancy toasts. I like toasting mine before spreading almond butter on top or mashed avocados.
Any leftover bread should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. It can keep for about 3 days. It will need to be reheated before consuming.
New! Recipe now updated with video! As always, you can also view all my recipe videos on my youtube channel.
Keto Low Carb Mug Bread
- ½ tbsp oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- In a large, microwave-safe mug, add all ingredients. Whisk until smooth.
- Cook in microwave at full power for about 2 minutes 20 seconds. Allow the bread to cool about 1 minute before removing from mug and slicing. I sliced mine into ½ inch thick discs.
- The breads can be used as is for sandwiches or can be toasted. I prefer the texture when the bread is toasted.
- You can use canola oil, vegetable oil, olive oil. If you are trying to make it paleo, keto, or have other dietary restrictions, please use an oil that is permitted in the diet you are following.
- You can add a pinch of salt to the batter. You can also add dried herbs for more flavor.
- Any leftover bread should be stored in the fridge in an airtight container. It can keep for about 3 days. It will need to be reheated before consuming.
- You should use a wide mug because if your mug is too narrow, it will be difficult to cook the bread all the way through and your bread slices will be very small. Your mug should hold at least 16 oz of liquid. The mug I used is 4 inches tall and 3 ¼ inches wide.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.