A peanut butter flavored mug cake studded with chocolate that is low carb and keto-friendly. This cake is rich and fudgy and cooks in the microwave in less than 2 minutes.
This recipe came out of a happy accident. I was trying to create something else and ended up with this delicious peanut butter flavored cake. I previously shared a 3 Ingredient Keto Peanut Butter Mug Cake. While that cake is easy and really great considering it’s only 3 ingredients, it’s not as moist and peanut-buttery as I like for my ideal peanut butter cake.
Mug Cake Taste and Texture
The cake has a very rich peanut butter flavor, with an almost fudgy texture from all the peanut butter. It’s also super moist and still has a lightness to it so it doesn’t feel too heavy or dense.
Mug Cake Ingredients
This cake is made with just 5 ingredients.
- Peanut Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Dark Chocolate
For the peanut butter, I recommend using natural creamy unsweetened peanut butter.
The cream cheese is the key to keeping the cake very moist. You will need to warm up the cream cheese first and whisk it until smooth before adding the other ingredients.
For the sweetener, I used erythritol granular.
For the chocolate, you can use dark chocolate or keto-friendly chocolate. Lily’s is my favorite brand for keto chocolate. You can either use chocolate chips or chop up part of a chocolate bar. I prefer chopped chocolate because it melts better.
Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- 2 oz cream cheese softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 tbsp natural creamy unsweetened peanut butter
- 2 tbsp erythritol granular
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
- Add cream cheese into a microwave-safe mug that can hold at least 12 oz of liquid. Cover top of mug with paper towel and microwave cheese briefly (about 10-15 seconds) so that it is warmed up enough to easily whisk. Whisk with a small whisk until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add in peanut butter, erythritol, egg. Whisk until batter is completely smooth and egg is fully incorporated with no egg streaks remaining. Stir in half of the chocolate. Sprinkle remaining on top.
- Cook cake in the microwave at full power for about 1 minute and 30 seconds. I used an 1100 watt microwave. You may need to adjust cooking time and power if your microwave is a different wattage. If desired, you can re-plate cake in a smaller mug before serving. Cake is best enjoyed warm.
- This cake is quite rich with a lot of calories. It is enough to serve two so you can split it in half if you feel like the calorie count is too high.
- I recommend you use Philadelphia brand cream cheese for this recipe. It is easier to blend and whisk out the lumps.
- I used So Nourished Erythritol Sweetener Granular.*
- Cake will initially rise high while cooking before sinking back down. Once cake is done, you can plate into a smaller mug,
- You can make this with your favorite dark chocolate or keto chocolate. I like using Lily's chocolate bars or chocolate chips.
- Keep the chopped chocolate pieces small, otherwise if they are too heavy they will sink down during cooking.
- If you like your desserts less sweet, you can reduce the sweetener by 1/2 tbsp.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.