This easy banana cake is just 2 ingredients and doesn’t contain any wheat flour, butter, eggs, oil or refined sugar. It also doesn’t require any cooking or baking. The cake bars are sweet and full of banana flavor.
I am always looking for fun new ways to use up bananas and this new recipe is so quick and easy. I love that it doesn’t require any cooking or baking, though I did test out a baked version as well. I like making this so I can have it for an afternoon snack when I’m craving something sweet.
- Ripe Bananas
- Coconut Flour
You will want to use very ripe bananas. The riper your bananas are, the easier they are to mash and the sweeter your cake will be. There is no added sugar to this recipe so all the sweetness comes from the bananas. Looking for a banana substitute? You can make something similar with pumpkin.
Coconut flour is used to provide structure and the flour element for these cake bars. Unfortunately, I do not have a substitute for coconut flour. I have tested this recipe with almond flour and oat flour and it doesn’t work. The reason why coconut flour works so well is because it is highly absorbent so it can absorb all of the moisture from the bananas.
No Bake Cake Texture
This is a no bake cake so it will not taste like your traditional fluffy baked banana cake. These are more like cake balls but in cake bar form because they have some flour structure to them but they are more moist and dense than a regular cake.
Can you bake this?
I’ve had quite a few people ask if they can bake my no bake recipes. Yes you can bake this. It won’t change the texture much, but it will make the cake a little more sweet and a little more firm if you find the no bake version too moist for your liking.
Healthy Cream Cheese Frosting
You can definitely serve these cake bars without any frosting at all, but if you want to add frosting, you can top them with a healthier cream cheese frosting made with cream cheese, Greek yogurt and maple syrup.
More Banana Recipes
- 2 Ingredient Healthy Banana Bread Cookies
- 2 Ingredient Healthy Brownies
- 4 Ingredient Healthy Banana Oatmeal Bread
2 Ingredient Healthy No Bake Banana Cake
- 3 medium very ripe bananas (approx 342 grams without peel)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
Cream Cheese Frosting (optional)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or more as needed
- Line an 8 x 4 inch baking loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas with a fork or spoon until it becomes puree consistency. Stir in coconut flour until evenly mixed. Your mixture should thicken and resemble a cookie dough consistency. You can taste and adjust as needed. If you find your mixture is too wet, you can add a little extra coconut flour.
- Spread mixture into prepared baking pan, using a spatula to smooth out the surface. Wrap cake loaf pan with plastic wrap. This will prevent the bananas from oxidizing too much and turning the cake brown or gray. Place into fridge for about 1 hour to let cake firm up slightly, making it easier to slice. Cake can actually be eaten without refrigerating it but it will be easier to slice if it is refrigerated. When ready to serve, slice cake. I don't recommend slicing ahead of time because the bananas in the cake will oxidize and change the color of the cake from light yellow to a brown or gray color. I also recommend only slicing as much as you will be eating to preserve the color.
- To make frosting, whisk together cream cheese, greek yogurt and maple syrup. Taste and adjust as needed. Frosting can be added before or after the cake is refrigerated.
- Store uneaten cake and frosting in the fridge in an airtight container.
- This no bake cake will not taste like a traditional baked fluffy cake. It is more dense and moist and similar to cake balls but in cake bar form.
- When you first make the cake, it will be a pale yellow color. But the bananas will oxidize and cause the cake to turn darker and more of a brown or gray color if left out. Keeping the cake sealed will help prevent oxidation. I also recommend only slicing what you plan on eating because the inside of the cake will stay yellow until it is sliced.
- Yes you can bake this cake. If you do not like how moist the cake is, baking it will dry out some of that moisture and make the cake firmer. However, it will still be very similar to the no baked version. It will not taste or become a fluffy cake if it is baked. To bake the cake, bake it at 350F for about 40 minutes or until firm.
- You can substitute bananas for pumpkin puree. See body of post for more details. I do not have a substitute for coconut flour. See body of post for more detailed explanation.
- Estimated nutrition is for cake bars without frosting.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.