Thursday, March 11, 2010

Green Tea Mochi

For Christmas, my sister got me a Nordic Ware baking pan I wanted.  It bakes sheet cakes with daisies on one side.  I’ve been trying to decide what to bake with it and the other day I decided to try to make mochi cake with it.

I chose a green tea mochi cake.  I thought having the top decorated with flower designs would be a nice touch to the cake.

Boyfriend and I have found that we really enjoy eating the cake while it is still a bit warm because the edges have an extra crispy chewiness, much like the brownie edges.

Green Tea mochi cake

Ingredients

• 16 oz Mochiko rice flour (or can substitute for any brand of glutinous rice flour)
  • 1 cup butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder

Directions

1. Cream the butter with sugar.  It helps to melt the butter a little first.

2. Mix in the evaporated milk to the butter/sugar mixture.

3. Mix eggs into the mixture.

4. Mix in the rice flour, baking powder and vanilla.

5. Mix in the matcha green tea powder.

6. Pour mixture into a 9 x 13 pan.

7. Bake for approximately 1 hour at 350 degrees.

8. Let cake completely cool, allowing the mochi to set, before cutting and serving.

8 Responses to “Green Tea Mochi”

ktnguyen3@yahoo.com — March 12, 2010 @ 8:35 am

Hi Kirbie! That cake pan is so cute! your desserts with green tea always look so yummy. where do you get your green tea powder and the mochiko rice flour? I want to try out your recipes :-)

Kirbie — March 12, 2010 @ 1:24 pm

I get my green tea powder from Ranch 99, located in the tea section. The mochiko rice flour I get at Ranch 99 sometimes and Nijiya market sometimes. This recipe is really simple!

Ellie (Almost Bourdain) — March 12, 2010 @ 8:45 pm

I love this Green Tea Mochi cake! How lovely is the cake pan!

Kim — March 15, 2010 @ 8:31 am

thanks for the info! I’m going to attempt a mochi cake this week :o )

Kirbie — March 15, 2010 @ 9:34 am

Thanks! I’m adoring this pan. I will have to find more recipes to use it with.

kim — March 17, 2010 @ 5:31 am

Yum! I baked some matcha cookies over the weekend too. :)

Kirbie — March 17, 2010 @ 9:35 am

I love matcha cookies!

Bakesale for Japan: Matcha Mochi Cupcakes « Dining with the Catty Critic — April 2, 2011 @ 10:00 am

[...] inspired.  Kirbie’s Cravings always has some really delish looking desserts so I used her Green Tea Mochi cake recipe but made cupcakes instead.  These came out really good.  There was a nice green tea [...]