Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Mini baked donuts with chocolate ganache

I’ve been wanting to bake my own donuts ever since seeing a recipe from Little Corner of Mine for healthy baked donuts. But I didn’t have a donut pan. So after putting it on my wishlist for a while, I finally went ahead and bought one. I bought the Norpro Mini Donut Pan, but I didn’t realize just how small the donut molds would be.  They are super cute, but also not much batter can fit in each mold.

I wasn’t sure what to expect for the taste of these donuts. They didn’t seem like the classic cake donut. But they also weren’t going to taste like your normal yeast fried donut, The donuts by themselves tasted something between a cross between a cake and a donut. Normally, my family doesn’t like icing on their donuts. The only donuts we like are glazed ones. I thought these donuts would look better frosted because they have some holes.

I knew no one would eat the frosted donuts, so I instead, I decided to use chocolate ganache. Originally, I was going to do a drizzle, but then the donuts were so tiny, I decided to just dip the tops in the chocolate.  Once glazed with chocolate ganache, these babies looked more like donuts and tasted more like donuts too. Everyone really liked them.

I’m probably going to try out some other baked donut recipes, but this is a nice one. It doesn’t exactly satisfy my cravings for donuts, but they are tasty and I like how they look.

Mini donuts (adapted from Little Corner of Mine)

Print Recipe

Ingredients

(A)
1 cup all purpose flour

1/3 cup white granulated sugar

3/4 tsp. baking powder

3/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

(B)
1 large egg

1 tub (6oz/170g) vanilla flavored yogurt

1 Tbsp. milk
1 Tbsp. canola oil

Directions

1. In a big glass bowl, combine (A). Whisk thoroughly with a whisk.

2. In the center, add (B). Whisk until combine.  Use a spoon and fill the greased donuts pan, about half full.

3. Bake at preheated 400′F oven for about 7-8 minutes for mini donuts. Remove with a toothpick and let cool completely on wire rack.

Chocolate Ganache

1/2 cup heavy cream

4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1. Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.

2. Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.

3. Let ganache cool for a few minutes before drizzling donuts with glaze or simply dipping the tops of the donuts in chocolate ganache

10 Responses to “Mini baked donuts with chocolate ganache”

Mary — May 4, 2010 @ 8:15 am

Aww, those are so cute! I like making mini-desserts. I only have one mini pan though (for bundt cakes). I love chocolate ganache, too, especially oozing down the size of cakes. Yum!

Kirbie — May 4, 2010 @ 9:57 am

I love mini desserts too! Except for the fact that they take longer because they use so little batter; I kept trying to shove more batter into the mini donut molds. Hehee.

snacksgiving — May 4, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

They look soo cute!

caninecologne — May 4, 2010 @ 5:34 pm

hi kirbie – love those tiny donuts!!!! so very cute! i’d totally eat those! with or without the chocolate!

Kirbie — May 5, 2010 @ 9:31 am

Thanks! I was really happy with how they turned out. I have the urge to stick some sprinkles on them though. Maybe next time.

Kirbie — May 5, 2010 @ 9:32 am

They are so small that I ended up eating so many! Heh. That’s the problem with small treats.

Mini baked donuts with sprinkles | Kirbie Cravings — October 15, 2010 @ 12:52 pm

[...] weekend, I made mini donuts covered with chocolate ganache. They were a huge hit. It made me want to try out other recipes. Surprisingly, I had a hard time [...]

Donut cupcakes | Kirbie Cravings — October 15, 2010 @ 12:53 pm

[...] been obsessed with the mini donuts ever since making a yogurt version here and a chocolate and sprinkles version with a different recipe here. I haven’t found any new [...]

Mini baked donuts with vanilla glaze for Donut Day | Kirbie Cravings — October 20, 2010 @ 3:44 pm

[...] the internet for different mini baked donut recipes. So far I've tried two, which can be found here and here. This new recipe I used for these donuts were found on Sur La [...]

Green tea mochi with chocolate filling | Kirbie Cravings — October 20, 2010 @ 3:48 pm

[...] You can find my recipe for chocolate ganache here. [...]