Cute little apple cider donuts topped with a cinnamon-sugar coating. These baked donuts are easy to make and perfect for fall.
I have a thing for mini donuts and love making them but until recently I haven’t ventured beyond making glazed donuts like my Chocolate Glazed Mini Donuts and Vanilla Glazed Mini Donuts. So, since it’s fall, I thought I’d try mini apple cider donuts. The flavors sounded perfect for the season.
Update: Since writing this post I’ve made a lot more donuts so be sure to browse all of my Donut Recipes.
As much as I love fried donuts, baked donuts are just so much easier to make. You don’t need a mixer because the donut batter is easy to make with just a bowl and whisk. Plus, you don’t have to worry about heating up oil and frying donuts in batches. I used my mini donut pan* to bake them in the oven and it was so easy.
You also don’t have to worry about chopping up a bunch of fresh apples to make these baked donuts. I used applesauce instead and there’s also some spiced apple cider in the batter, too. The mini donuts bake up with a wonderful apple flavor that’s lightly spiced with some cinnamon that’s also included.
These apple cider baked donuts are delicious plain, but I added a simple cinnamon-sugar coating for a little texture and extra sweetness. I love how the little donuts look coated in the cinnamon-sugar. Once the donuts bake, I just dip them in melted butter and then dip them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Surprisingly, these mini apple cider donuts tasted better the day after they were baked because the extra time really helped develop the apple flavor. These were so easy to make – I’ll definitely make them again.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
Mini Baked Apple Cider Donuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1/3 cup spiced apple cider
- 1/3 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spray mini donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg, brown sugar, applesauce, agave nectar, cider, yogurt, and oil.
- Add in dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Fill each mini donut halfway. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let donuts cool slightly for a few minutes. Use a plastic knife, gently pry around edges of the donut until donuts pop out.
- Let donuts cool completely. Then melt 1/4 cup butter in a small glass bowl. In another small bowl, combine 2/3 cup white sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Dip top of donuts in melted butter and then dip in the sugar mixture.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.