Around the same time that I purchased my Hello Kitty rice ball maker set and Happy Face rice ball maker set, I also purchased a Hello Kitty silicone cupcake/muffin pan mold which I also found on ebay.

Since then I've been trying to decide what to bake with it. I knew I wanted to bake some sort of cupcake. I wanted to bake chocolate cupcakes, but I didn't have time to try any of the new chocolate cupcake recipes I have on my to-do list. I know with silicone molds, often if you try to bake something light colored, there may be unevenness in how the batter browns. With the Hello Kitty face being the most important part of these molds, I didn't want to use a light colored batter, which is why I thought of chocolate.

While reading JustJenn's site, she blogged about a recent visit to the Sanrio Cafe in Hawaii, where she came across Hello Kitty mochi. The Hello Kitty mochi looked very similar to the size and shape of the molds I had bought. And then I realized I could try to make my own Hello Kitty mochi.

I used my chocolate mochi recipe and stuck them in my Hello Kitty molds. I kept my fingers crossed, and was quite happy with the result. Each Hello Kitty face popped out quite easily from the molds.

These were so cute I actually had a really hard time eating them. Usually, I use dutch processed cocoa powder for my mochi recipe. But since I moved, I haven't fully unpacked. I was only able to find regular baking cocoa powder. So the mochi came out quite a bit lighter, but they still tasted fine. I usually put chocolate chips in my chocolate mochi too, but I omitted them here because I didn't want to mess up the faces.

Chocolate Hello Kitty mochi

Ingredients

1 cup butter, melted

2 tsp. vanilla

2 cups sugar

4 eggs, beaten
2 tsp. baking powder

16 oz. box Mochiko flour
1 cup dutch processed cocoa or regular unsweetened cocoa powder
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk

3/4 cup coconut milk

Directions

Preheat over to 350 F. Cream the butter with sugar.

2. Beat in the evaporated milk  and coconut milk to the butter/sugar mixture.

3. Beat eggs into the mixture.

4. Beat in the rice flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and vanilla.

5. Spoon batter into cupcake molds, about 2/3 full.

6. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out
clean.

7. Cool completely before serving.

17 Responses to “Chocolate Hello Kitty mochi”

1. Nicole O. — September 1, 2010 at 7:19 am

i have this mold too, but i find it really hard to get the final results out of the mold. i’ve ruined cupcakes, muffins, etc. how did it release well for you?

2. Kirbie — September 1, 2010 at 9:18 am

Oh that’s not good. This was the first time I used it and it released fine for this mochi recipe. I turned them upside and pushed and they popped right out. I just had to be careful near the ear/bow portion because on a few of them, they would start to break off it I didn’t do it carefully.

3. caninecologne — September 1, 2010 at 3:47 pm

hi kirbie – omg, so cute cute cute!!!! i love it!
    you have the best collection of bakeware ever! :)

4. Janice D. — September 1, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Kirbie, I love mochi and Hello Kitty (reminds me of my childhood)! I LOVE that you put the two together. I’m going to have to try this recipe (minus the cute Hello Kitty molds since I don’t have them). Thanks for sharing!

5. Kirbie — September 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm

Thanks CC. I think my bakeware collection has gotten too big..I need to stop buying stuff!

6. Kirbie — September 1, 2010 at 9:21 pm

The recipe tastes good with or without the molds. It was actually hard for me to eat these Hello Kittys. hehe.

7. Mary — September 8, 2010 at 10:29 am

These look amazing! Three of my favorite things combined into one: chocolate, mochi and of course Hello Kitty! Thanks so much for sharing this recipe : )

8. Kirbie — September 9, 2010 at 11:13 am

I hope you enjoy this recipe. I know I did. =)

9. Pingback: Chocolate Hello Kitty mochi | Online REL

10. Debbie Levi — January 19, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Hi and greetings from Sydney Australia
    I love this post and was wondering where you bought the Hello Kitty moulds from.
    I’d love to make these for my daughter’s second birthday!
    Thanks,
    Debbie

• Kirbie replied: — January 19th, 2011 @ 11:52 pm

I bought them on ebay. There are a lot of sellers selling them. Hope this helps!

11. Joan — March 3, 2011 at 1:05 am

So cute! I just bought these and one that has smaller faces and a cutter for toast/cookies

• Kirbie replied: — March 3rd, 2011 @ 8:04 pm

Aww the small ones are so cute! I haven’t seen that. I’ve seen the toast one. Been thinking about getting it.

12. Maria — March 25, 2011 at 7:21 pm

Hi!!
    These are super cute! Just wondering, where do you buy your dutch processed cocoa powder in SD?

• Kirbie replied: — March 26th, 2011 @ 1:12 am

I actually buy mine elsewhere. I’m not sure where they sell it in SD. They might sell it at the Do It with Icing store. I usually get mine on Amazon or at the Surfas store in LA (which also has a website but you would have to pay for shipping.) Let me know if you need more information!

13. Erica — February 2, 2012 at 5:57 am

This is so cute! :3 I ordered a Rilakkuma silicone mold (link is here: https://www.shopkawaii.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=KY-90701) so I’m just wondering since it’s bigger if the recipe would work the same. Thank you for any help!

• Kirbie replied: — February 2nd, 2012 @ 8:59 am

You’ll probably just need to bake longer, but other than that it should work!