I’ve made variations of the sugar donut muffins that have been popular on food blogs. (Sugar donut muffins are mini muffins that taste like cake donuts.) I realized that while I’ve made several versions of the donut muffins, I haven’t tried the original version that I found: just regular mini donut muffins rolled in some sugar.
I thought about making the original version, but then at the last minute I decided to make a pumpkin version instead. There’s only 15 days left until Thanksgiving and I have a lot more pumpkin, sweet potato, persimmon and other fall recipes to try out. So I made a pumpkin version, but I dipped them in a cinnamon sugar mixture.
I haven’t had much time for baking since I spent the weekend in San Francisco. I’ll have to catch up these next two weeks. These muffins are quite tasty. The pumpkin puree makes them so moist and I love the bright yellow hue of the donut muffins.
Mini pumpkin donut muffins (adapted from The Craving Chronicles)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
1/2 cup fat free milk
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2/3 cup sugar
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven 350°F. Spray mini muffin tin with baking spray that contains flour.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and spices .
3. In a large bowl whisk together oil, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, pumpkin and milk until smooth. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined!
4. Spoon batter into muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Let donuts cool completely. Then melt 1/4 cup butter in a small glass bowl. In another small bowl, combine 2/3 cup white sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon. Dip top of donuts in melted butter and then dip in the sugar mixture.