Mini Doughnut Muffins
Doughnut muffins are a great way to get a doughnut fix without all the work! When you bake them in a mini muffin pan you get a batch of mini sweet treats that are perfect for snacking, breakfast or dessert.
Aren’t these mini doughnut muffins the cutest thing? For a while now, I’ve seen recipes floating around for sugared doughnut muffins since they are supposed to taste just like raised sugar donuts. I wasn’t sure I would enjoy them because I always kind of thought mini muffins were too small. But then I also thought the same thing about mini donuts until I started making them.
These mini doughnut muffins are so easy to make and they are delicious! There’s a little bit of nutmeg in the batter which makes them taste a lot like a classic cake doughnut. I absolutely loved them.
Baked Doughnut Muffins
- This recipe makes 24 mini muffins. I used my mini muffin pan* which I sprayed with cooking spray with flour in it before pouring the batter in the molds.
- You will need two mixing bowls for this recipe. One for the dry ingredients and one for the wet ones. Mixing the dry ingredients separately before adding them to the wet ingredients ensures you won’t overmix the batter which can make your muffins tough.
- Fill the muffin molds about ¾ full and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes at 350°F or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the doughnut muffins completely before decorating them.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting
These doughnut muffins taste great all on their own, but I like to frost them with ganache and top them with sprinkles to make them look like chocolate glazed doughnuts. Ganache is a simple frosting that is made with chocolate and cream.
- To make the ganache, chop the bittersweet chocolate and place it in a heatproof bowl.
- Heat the cream in a pot and once it starts to simmer remove it from the heat and pour the hot cream over the chopped chocolate.
- Stir the chocolate and cream together until smooth. Let it cool for a few minutes before dipping the mini doughnuts muffins. Top them with sprinkles and they’re ready to serve.
I couldn’t stop popping these little babies in my mouth as I set about decorating them. Out of all the baked donut recipes I have tried so far, this is by far my favorite.
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking power
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fat free milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease mini muffin tin with cooking spray that contains flour.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar and egg until light and creamy with an electric mixer.
In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Pour into egg mixture and stir to combine. Mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
Divide batter evenly into mini-muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes for mini-muffins, until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Decorate donut muffins after they have cooled.
How to Make the Ganache
Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
Let ganache cool for a few minutes before dipping the tops of the donuts in chocolate ganache
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Amount Per Serving (1 mini muffin)
Calories 122 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g25%
Vitamin A 100IU2%
Net Carbs 15g30%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
More Mini Donut Muffins
Baileys Coffee Donut Muffins | These mini baked coffee flavored donut muffins are topped with a Baileys Irish Cream glaze, making a delicious breakfast treat, snack, or dessert.
Strawberry Donut Muffins | These mini donut muffins made with fresh strawberries.
Mini Pumpkin Donut Muffins | These mini pumpkin donuts muffins are fluffy, light and adorable. They are baked in a mini muffin pan but taste like old fashioned donuts with a pumpkin twist.