Monday, December 20, 2010

Red Velvet Cupcake Roses

I love red velvet cupcakes. Last year I decided to make red velvet cupcakes in my Nordic ware Rose Muffin Pan. They came out really pretty. Since I don’t like frosting on my cupcakes, putting them in these molds helps keep a pretty presentation without frosting.

For people who like frosting, I think you can pipe some frosting into the bottom and inside of the cupcakes.

I’ve been on the search for a perfect red velvet cupcake recipe. So far all the recipes I’ve tried have fallen short. The other day I was shopping at William Sonoma and noticed that they were selling a Sprinkles cupcake mix.

I’ve been wary of trying mixes by famous bakeries, but I’ve been wanting to try Sprinkles cupcakes forever. Last summer, I learned that they are opening on in San Diego. Since then I’ve been practically stalking the progress. On an impulse, I decided to buy the mix for my red velvet cupcake roses.

These cupcakes were delicious! They were definitely my favorite red velvet ones I’ve made. The mix cost $14 which is pretty steep for a mix. On the other hand, Spinkles cupcakes are priced at $3-4 each, so I guess if you think of it that way, it is a bargain. It’s hard for me to describe all the flavors I look for in a red velvet cake, but all of them were present in these. The only one tiny criticism I had for these cupcakes is that the red coloring they used seemed to stain everything they touched.

I guess this doesn’t really solve my problem on finding the perfect red velvet cupcakes recipe since I don’t know Sprinkles’ recipe, but at least I’ve finally found a delicious red velvet cupcakes that I can make.

15 Responses to “Red Velvet Cupcake Roses”

Lauren at KeepItSweet — December 20, 2010 @ 5:32 am

good to know that the sprinkles mix comes out good! i haven’t tried any of their mixes yet

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 10:56 am

I’m glad the mix was good too. After spending so much I would have been pretty annoyed if it came out bad!

Tanvi@SinfullySpicy — December 20, 2010 @ 10:17 am

These roses look so pretty.I m a big fan of red velvet.Would love to buy that rose pan..search starts today..Thanks for Sharing

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 10:57 am

The one I used is a Nordicware one which amazon sells (I linked to it in my post as well). I’m sure there are other great ones out there too though.

Roxan — December 20, 2010 @ 10:41 am

I have a sprinkles mix at home that I got as a gift a while back… I haven’t used it yet though. I have a nordicware pan like this one, but it makes different shaped flowers. I’ll make them on friday for christmas! thanks for reminding me to use my sprinkles mix… it’s been taking up space in my cupboard.

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 10:58 am

Hmm, I dont think I know which pan you are talking about. But it’s probably better this way. Every time I see a diff nordic ware pan I want to buy it…

Julie Anne Rhodes — December 20, 2010 @ 11:07 am

I live in Sprinkles land (not good for a cupcake addict that gains weight easily), and they are delish, however the best red velvet cake recipe in my humble opinion is the Waldorf Red cake recipe. http://jewelsfromtherovingstove.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-have-your-cake-eat-it-too-i-hit.html

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 11:25 am

I haven’t tried this one yet! Thanks!

tigerfish — December 20, 2010 @ 2:04 pm

You are early for Valentine’s Day! :) They look very pretty.

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 5:08 pm

I’ll probably do chocolate roses for valentine’s day =)

Carol — December 20, 2010 @ 3:18 pm

Those are so pretty, Kirbie! I think I’ll make those for my MIL’s birthday next month since she loves red, roses and red velvet cake. I’ve tried several RV recipes, even the original Waldorf-Astoria (and versions of it) but I still keep going back to my version (adapted from Emeril Lagasse’s “Sylvia” cake) that uses all butter.

• Kirbie replied: — December 20th, 2010 @ 5:11 pm

Oh, I’ll definitely have to try yours! I like the idea of all butter. The mix from Sprinkles required butter, which I think helped make them so tasty.

Carol — December 20, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Oops, I screwed up the link to the recipe: http://www.cabcooks.com/2008/11/16/red-velvet-cake/

Erika Beth — December 22, 2010 @ 9:19 am

These are gorgeous. No need for icing at all. :)

• Kirbie replied: — December 22nd, 2010 @ 9:30 am