- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter cut up into small cubes
- 1 tbsp red food coloring
- 4 oz dark chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- red and green nonpareils
Preheat oven to 325°F. In a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt and mix for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add butter and red food coloring. Continue to mix on medium to high speed until dough comes together and you can squeeze it into a ball shape.
- Knead dough into a ball and then Roll out dough to a 1/2-inch thickness. Using cookie cutter shapes of your choice, begin cutting cookies from dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Press dough scraps together and reroll and make more cookies until dough is used up.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes for small cookies or 20 minutes for bigger cookies until centers are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- In a small saucepan, heat heavy cream until it just begins to boil. Turn off the stove and pour the heavy cream into a small glass bowl containing the chopped chocolate. Stir until you have a smooth chocolate ganache.
Dip half the cookies into the chocolate. Then add some sprinkles. Place cookies on parchment paper until the ganache has cooled and set.