- 1 cup butter cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 tablespoons high quality matcha green tea powder (see note)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- a pinch of salt
In a large bowl, beat butter, matcha powder and sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk flour and salt together in a separate small bowl.
- Add about half of the flour mixture to the matcha mixture and mix on low speed. Gradually add the remaining flour, mixing until just blended. The mixture should look crumbly but if you squeeze it between your fingers, it will come together. Gather the dough into a large ball.
Roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness between two pieces of parchment paper. Peel off top parchment paper.
Cut out as many cookies as possible using cookie cutter and place on cookie sheets 1-inch apart. Re-roll remaining dough and repeat until all of the dough is used up. Decorate with sprinkles
Preheat oven to 325°F. Bake for about 15-17 minutes or until the cookies are dry and firm to the touch and the edges are just starting to turn brown.
- I recommend using the gold canister Maeda-En green tea powder* because the cookies will have a deeper green color.
- Recipe slightly adapted from DeDe Wilson’s recipe found on Project Foodie
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).