Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Bacon pizza puffs

A few weeks ago I made pepperoni pizza puffs which ended up being a huge hit with the BF and on the blog. I was really surprised as they were just something I made on a whim. I never thought they would be so popular.

From the comments I received, I realized that the ingredients of this appetizer isn’t just appealing to BF, but to most men, and this really is a “man dish.”  So for Superbowl weekend I thought about how I could make this appetizer even more “manly.”

The solution? Bacon of course. So I took out the pepperoni and replaced it with bacon. Mini bacon and cheese pizza puffs. BF loved it. I personally prefer the pepperoni version but both work pretty well.

Bacon cheese puffs (adapted from recipe found on the family kitchen)

Ingredients

3/4 cup flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and mozzarella)
4 ounces chopped bacon (precooked)

Directions

1. Grease a mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, milk, egg, cheese, and cooked bacon, stirring until completely mixed.  Spoon batter into the prepared mini-muffin cups about 2/3 full.

3. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Serve while warm. For more of a pizza taste, you can serve with some marina sauce for dipping.

9 Responses to “Bacon pizza puffs”

Asian wedding photography — February 8, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Wow! It looks so wonderful and I must say that it is very yummy also. It is very new recipe for me but then also I like to try it because it is truly delicious. You have also given very clear recipe also so that anyone can make it easily.

Candi — March 13, 2011 @ 6:57 pm

Can you use a pastry bag with a metal tip and inject marinara into them like you do with poufs? Or will the sauce soak through?

• Kirbie replied: — March 14th, 2011 @ 8:53 am

I haven’t tried that before but I think it may cause the dough to be too wet. So it may be best to just dip them in after.

Pizza guide — August 19, 2011 @ 4:14 am

That is something which sounds very innovative.I’ve never tried pizza puffs,but m very keen to try one.Nice pics.

• Kirbie replied: — August 19th, 2011 @ 8:28 am

They are quite yummy. They don’t exactly taste like pizza, but they have the taste of the pizza toppings and are easy to make.

Katherine — October 5, 2012 @ 3:19 am

Whenever I make these they never puff up like the ones in the picture, did I do something wrong?

• Kirbie replied: — October 5th, 2012 @ 7:45 am

Hmm, mine puff up. I would try adding more batter to each old. If there isn’t enough batter it might not be as puffy. Also consider cooking it a little bit longer. Otherwise if they are not fully cooked they could deflate also.

Tina — July 15, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

How would you store them afterwards if you had leftovers?

• Kirbie replied: — July 15th, 2013 @ 3:23 pm

In the fridge and then reheat