Can you believe it’s October already? It really snuck up on me.
I hurried to the supermarket this weekend to buy some pumpkin puree to get started on some fall baking. First up, these mini pumpkin cakes with a Nutella filling.
I bought a mini pumpkin baking pan last year. Unfortunately, the leaves and vines are hard to see.
My favorite fall pumpkin good is probably pumpkin bread and it’s almost always the first thing I start off with. I decided to bake them in these molds. Last year, I made a Nutella swirl pumpkin bread. While I enjoyed it, the Nutella overwhelmed the pumpkin bread a little.
This time I decided to try filling them with Nutella. This would allow me to eat the outside pumpkin bread by itself but at the same time, have a taste of Nutella on the inside mixed with the bread. These came out just as I hoped. And tasted absolutely delicious.
Pumpkin cakes with Nutella filling
* 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
* 4 eggs
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 2/3 cup water
* 3 cups white sugar
* 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons baking soda
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
* 3/4 cup nutella
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease molds with pam spray (my pumpkin molds are about the size of muffin/cupcake molds)
2. In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger. Mix in the dry ingredients until it is just blended. Pour into the molds, about 2/3 full.
3. Take a spoonful of Nutella and place in the middle of the batter. Using your finger, gently push the Nutella down. It will bounce up so do it a few times until it is mostly sunken in (it's okay if it stick up a little). Be careful not to push too far down. You don't want it to hit the bottom of the pan. You also don't want it to mix too much with the rest of the batter.
4. Bake for about 12-15 minutes in the preheated oven (It also depends on the size of your molds). Pumpkin cakes are done when toothpick inserted comes out clean (Try to inset toothpick into a section of the pumpkin cake that doesn't have Nutella. The batter portion should come out clean, but the nutella will be gooey and stick to toothpick)
Adapted from All Recipes