I am so so so excited to share this recipe with you today that I created. Yes, it’s only 2 ingredients. And I mean really two ingredients. Not one of those recipes that say two or three ingredients and then one of the ingredients is something like “pre-made dough” or “cake mix.” (Not that there is anything wrong with those recipes.)

All you need is Nutella and eggs. That’s it. (Okay I guess technically Nutella may be considered more than one ingredient since it’s a spread with multiple things. But I don’t think of it the same as something like cake mix as an ingredient.)

With only two ingredients, it’s so simple to make.

And the taste? The taste is divine. Rich, decadent. I didn’t think I could make a cake with only two ingredients.  But it’s possible.

I haven’t been this excited about a recipe since I made my bacon fried eggs or my nutella lava cookies. I hope you love this as much as I do. It’s my new favorite recipe. The batter takes less than 10 minutes to make. The cake bakes for 25 minutes. FH and I both loved this cake. It’s so good I already made it twice this week! (You know, just to make sure the first one wasn’t a fluke.)

For more Nutella recipes, you can check out my collection here.

Notes: So there’s been a lot of comments on this post and while many people have made it successfully, there have been a few people who complain their cake tastes “eggy” or it didn’t work. You have to follow the recipe exactly and you have to make sure you whip the eggs enough and use enough Nutella. With only 2 ingredients, it is easy to make but if you try to simplify the steps, you likely will end up with a poor result.

* The key to the texture of the cake and to not end up with something “eggy” is the whipped eggs which are whipped until triple the volume. This creates the cake texture and it should not end up just tasting like sweetened eggs because the eggs have so much air whipped into them. So it’s important to whip the eggs long enough with a stand mixer. I don’t know if a hand mixer is powerful enough.

* In addition, when you fold in the eggs and Nutella together, it needs to be done in small batches and not all at once or you risk deflating most of the egg meringue you’ve made.

* Make sure to weigh out the Nutella, and make sure you get all that Nutella into the actual cake as I know it can be sticky and often people leave a lot of the Nutella behind in their measuring cup.

* Finally, give the cake sufficient time to cool and rest. This will allow the flavors to full develop, otherwise the chocolate flavor is a little light and the egg flavor a little strong if you eat it right out of the oven. Let the cake cool for at least 1 hour or longer, if you can manage to wait that long.

If you really love Nutella, you can check out my whole collection of Nutella recipes.

I also have a whole category of easy recipes with 4-or-less ingredients.

Print Print Save Save

Two Ingredient Flourless Nutella cake

Prep Time: 10 mins

Cook Time: 25 mins

Total Time: 35 mins

• 4 large or extra large eggs
  • 8 1/2 ounces Nutella (weigh this out on a scale)

1. Grease a 6 or 7 inch round springform pan. Then line with parchment paper on sides and on bottom. (One of the cakes I made, I simply sprayed pan but it still sticks, so it is best to line with parchment paper. By spraying with oil first, the parchment paper stick ons better.) Preheat oven to 350F. Beat eggs on highest speed with stand mixer until about triple in volume, about 6 minutes. The egg consistency is the key to making this recipe work, so don't try to save time on this step. Eggs must be beaten until triple in volume as that is what creates the cake.
2. Measure out Nutella into a glass bowl. Microwave Nutella for about 20 seconds to make it softer. Add in 1/3 of the egg mixture. Gently stir with a spatula in the same clockwise direction until all of the egg is mixed in and no streaks remain. Then add another 1/3 of egg mixture and fold again until no egg streaks remain. Pour in remaining third and make sure to scrape the foam that sticks to the mixing bowl into the batter and stir until no streaks remain. Make sure to do this in 3 batches because otherwise the whipped eggs may lose too much of the air that has been whipped into them if you try to do it all at once.
3. Pour batter into springfoam pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean. Let cake cool completely before removing from pan and cutting and serving. This will allow the chocolate flavor to fully develop, otherwise when it is still hot it tastes slightly eggier.

278 Responses to “2 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Cake”

1. Iris — March 23, 2012 at 12:35 am

OMG THIS IS AMAZING.

I CAN’T WAIT TO TRY THIS.

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 1:22 am

Wow, you’re still up! Yes, try it!! It’s amazing.

2. Shumaila — March 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This looks and sounds fantastic! Thanks for sharing.:)

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 12:19 pm

Part of me wanted to keep the recipe to myself. haha. ;-) But I’m glad I shared it and hope others love it as much as me.

3. Marian — March 23, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hi Kirbie,

This Nutella cake seems really great! I am addicted to Nutella so I have to try this recipe…
    I already looked up the conversion from ounces to grams so I can try it out as soon as possible :-).
    Thank you for sharing this recipe!
    Greetings from Belgium!
    Marian

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 12:20 pm

Oh, good. I just used my scale when I weighed it out. I didn’t check what it was in grams. Sorry!

4. Stacy — March 23, 2012 at 1:20 pm

So, we moved and my I just realized my springform pans are in storage. Do you think I would be okay with a any round pan?

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

I think that should be okay. Though the cake is a little hard to remove, which is one of the reasons the springform pan is good. but I think if you can completely cover in parchment paper your round pan it should work.

5. Iris — March 23, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Hahaha yeah I was still up last night – no one sleeps during finals week. ;) And I love that this recipe is also a great way to get rid of eggs. XD

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 1:42 pm

I thought about that after. That you must be up studying for finals! Yes, check this recipe out. Though I don’t think getting rid of eggs is ever my problem. I’m always running out!

6. Jenn — March 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for sharing -this looks amazing and will be made this weekend. Wondering if it could also be made with peanut butter instead of Nutella? Having two of the same desserts in different flavors would be nice for Easter dinner…especially two that are so simple and decadent!

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 2:29 pm

I haven’t tried, but I think a peanut butter version is possible. I actually was going to try experimenting with a peanut butter version next.

7. Sufrie — March 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm

GENIUS!!

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2012 @ 7:36 pm

haha, I dunno about that. But I’m super happy it worked!

8. Carol — March 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Kirbie – p-nut butter cookies with 3 ingrediants – absolutely wonderful! 1 CUP pb, 1 cup sugar and 1 egg. 350 for about 10 minutes. Best peanut butter cookies I’ve ever had!

• Kirbie replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 10:39 am

I’ve actually made the easy peanut butter cookies too! I love them. I add a little baking soda in mine though. Makes them spread a little more like regular cookies.

9. Annika — March 24, 2012 at 2:00 am

I AM SO TRYING THIS! is it okay if i just use a brownie pan lined with parchment paper instead of a circular one? :O
    thank you for sharing!!

• Kirbie replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 10:38 am

I think it should work…but I’ve never tried so I don’t know for sure. I worry it might not rise as much as a springfoam, but you can try it.

10. Karen — March 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

8 1/2 oz. … Do I use a scale or is that a little over a cup?

• Kirbie replied: — March 24th, 2012 @ 10:37 am

I measured mine with a scale, so I would do that. Nutella is sort of inbetween fluid and dry ingredients so I don’t think you can trust the cup size.

11. Jennifer — March 24, 2012 at 9:22 am

Genius!!!!!

12. Natasha — March 25, 2012 at 3:04 am

Oh YUM!! I am obsessed with a similar recipe that uses just a little flour and is baked in cupcake liners(http://butterbaking.wordpress.com/2012/01/25/easy-nutella-brownie-cups/).
    Like OBSESSED with it. Now I’m super excited to try this, and I’m sure I’ll be super obsessed with it too! The texture looks delicious. Thanks for sharing :-)

• Kirbie replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 9:03 am

I’ve made that recipe quite a few times and I like it. But I love this one even more. =)

13. Rodzilla — March 25, 2012 at 4:47 am

getting closer and closer to nutella + spoon :P

do you use the imported stuff or the american made version of nutella?

• Kirbie replied: — March 26th, 2012 @ 9:04 am

One of these days I’ll somehow get it to be one ingredient. ;-)
      Hmm, I buy mine from Costco. I have no idea where it’s coming from.

14. Lam — March 28, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Just made this, now I’m waiting for it to cool. SO EXCITED :))))

Mine came out a little deformed, it looked like mountain ranges but…hoping it tastes ok :P

• Kirbie replied: — March 29th, 2012 @ 8:26 am

I hope it came out well!

15. Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — March 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm

So I’m curious… since I’m not a nutella fan. Think this would work with perhaps… Biscoff??

• Kirbie replied: — March 29th, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

A Biscoff version needs a little tweaking. i tried a biscoff version with the same measurements and it didn’t work. I’m going to fiddle with it some more after I get more Biscoff.

16. BreAnna — April 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I am going to make this for Easter.. I am going to top mine with strawberries…does the texture turn out like a thick cheese cake, or like an actual cake?

P.S. making those 3 ingredient PB cookies now (in the oven!!) and going to fill them with nutella!! :D

• Kirbie replied: — April 4th, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

I would say the texture is like a brownie cake. Mmm, PB with Nutella sounds good.

17. Bridget — April 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hello – I’m going to try this this weekend, and I had a quick question. What size eggs did you use? Thanks.

• Kirbie replied: — April 5th, 2012 @ 7:43 pm

I used extra large eggs from Costco. Though I think large eggs work too. But I wouldn’t use anything smaller.

18. Nina — April 11, 2012 at 9:40 am

Can I use an electric mixer for this and your other recipes?

• Kirbie replied: — April 11th, 2012 @ 9:45 am

Yes, but it might be tiring to whip eggs for so long with a hand electric mixer.

19. Mellissa — April 14, 2012 at 1:40 pm

In the convection oven now at 350F. Looks very pretty, but it had to cook for approximately 30 minutes. I’ve lost track of how many times I added 3 minutes on the timer. :)

• Kirbie replied: — April 16th, 2012 @ 9:40 am

Hmm, I havent ever needed to bake it that long. I think I baked slightly over 25 minutes once and it started to burn. But as long as it still works for you!

20. Nina — April 18, 2012 at 12:20 am

Got a problem, I don’t have anything to weigh my nutella :-(

• Kirbie replied: — April 18th, 2012 @ 8:35 am

Ah, sorry about that. Maybe someone reading this will have measured it out in cups? I skipped the cups process and put it directly into the mixing bowl so there would be less cleanup.

21. Valerie — April 22, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Nina, I measured it at 3/4C and 1 tbsp of nutella! And Melissa, I had to cook mine longer too…it is cooling now and it looks and smells delish!! <3

22. Maria — May 9, 2012 at 8:24 am

Ok…so its official…this is my favourite website EVER! I have to say, this looks amazing and decadent. It reminds me of a similair cake I had in Sweden and could never find the recipe for. You are a culinary genius, I have a looong list of things I now want to try from your website! Thank you! ;)

• Kirbie replied: — May 9th, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

Aw, thank you for such kind words!

23. SJ — June 27, 2012 at 3:22 am

Hi, how did you get your cake to be so pretty? mine totally rose and buckled in the oven. twice :/
    plus was the nutella too stiff when you folded it in?

• Kirbie replied: — June 27th, 2012 @ 8:04 am

You are supposed to soften the Nutella in the microwave so it shouldn’t be stiff when you mix it in. I’m thinking either you didn’t beat the eggs enough (perhaps your mixer isn’t strong enough or you need to turn it to a higher setting or beat longer?) which would cause it to collapse, or maybe you added too much Nutella. The Nutella needs to be weighed out on a scale. Also you want to make sure when you are mixing it that no streaks of egg remain. Hope this helps!

24. Chris — June 27, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Kirbie,
    do you think it would be possible to hand mix the eggs to that consistency?

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2012 @ 12:15 am

I think it would be really really hard, though not impossible. You have to whip them at a high speed with a mixer for quite a few minutes to achieve the volume, so it would be a lot of hard hand work. But I’ve seen videos of people in Japan hand beating the eggs for castella cake which requires a similar rise in volume.

25. Erin — July 17, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I really didn’t like this. I thought it tasted like an omelet that someone accidentally added chocolate to. I honestly couldn’t taste the hazelnut flavor at all. I was really disappointed because of all the positive feedback. Sorry for the negativity. I like other things you have posted but this made me sad. Am I the only one who feels this way???

• Kirbie replied: — July 18th, 2012 @ 1:08 pm

This is the first negative comment I’ve heard from this recipe. I really enjoy it. I’m wondering if maybe the recipe went wrong because I don’t taste the eggs. It just tastes like Nutella for me.

26. Rosemary — August 8, 2012 at 7:58 pm

This is a great idea, but I am allergic to eggs! Is there anything else you can think of that I could substitute for the eggs? I frequently use applesauce, ripe bananas, or yogurt. Also I don’t have a scale, only use measuring cups, so what would you recommend?

• Kirbie replied: — August 9th, 2012 @ 9:49 am

Unfortunately, for this recipe the eggs are essential. Without the whipped eggs you can’t make the cake and it’s not something where you can use applesauce or yogurt to substitute. I do have several easy egg free recipes you can try. Maybe this one? http://kirbiecravings.com/2012/06/healthier-fudgy-nutella-mug-cake.html

27. bettinajo — September 25, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Cake in oven at this moment!! FYI: I believe it is called a springform pan, not springfoam. ;-O

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 11:47 pm

Yes you are right. That’s a typo!

28. Shannon — September 25, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I was so excited to make this and I literally just did…. I was so disappointed, its texture is omelette and it just tastes like nutella omelette :( however I’m glad I made it to realize how well nutella mixes with other ingredients! Is there some trick to this? I followed the recipe word for word promise!

• Kirbie replied: — September 25th, 2012 @ 11:45 pm

The texture should not be an omelette at all. It should be very light and fluffy. It sounds like the eggs were not whipped long enough. Did they triple in volume? Also did you weigh out the Nutella on a scale?

29. sevda — October 23, 2012 at 9:02 am

hey, i simply LOVE this! i made it with nuts and right now i wonder whether or not to put some topping on… hmmm. anyway, i’m definitely going to feaure this on our couple blog!:)

• Kirbie replied: — October 23rd, 2012 @ 10:49 am

Glad you liked it. I don’t know what people did wrong for those who comment about it not turning out. It works for me every time and I know a lot of other people who had success.

30. CESAR — November 13, 2012 at 10:22 am

Greasing the pan means third ingredient ,, NO ??!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 10:30 am

It’s not an ingredient in the cake itself so I don’t really consider it a third ingredient..You could use parchment paper instead of greasing.

31. Caitlin — November 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I have some cocoa almond butter from Trader Joe’s, think this would be an alright substitution for nutella?

• Kirbie replied: — November 13th, 2012 @ 10:27 pm

I’ve never tried the cocoa almond butter at TJ so I don’t know the consistency of it. If it’s not the consistency (i.e., thicker, more oily, more watery, etc), then it likely won’t work. Also not sure how sweet it is either compared to Nutella.

32. Piovono polpette — November 14, 2012 at 7:10 am

I tried it and it’s amazing!!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 14th, 2012 @ 9:36 am

I’m really proud and happy of this recipe so I’m glad you like it!

33. Riss — November 14, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Hey! Glad I found this recipe. I’m having a dinner guest tomorrow night, and with all that I’m cooking, this will be a quick, easy dessert.

Oh! also, I was reading some of the negative feedback, and I think I know why it might taste like an omelette. It is possible that aside from not whisking the eggs enough, perhaps too much of the egg was mixed in with the hot nutella, causing the eggs to cook prematurely. That would likely cause an omelette taste. Do you think maybe it would be a good idea to mix in a small amount of the warm nutella into the raw egg first to temper them, and then pour the tempered egg mixture into the the nutella, 1/3rd by 1/3rd? Just a thought.

• Kirbie replied: — November 14th, 2012 @ 10:59 pm

The Nutella is only microwaved briefly, so I don’t think it gets nearly hot enough to cook the egg mixture. I think people who are ending up with the omelette taste are either not whisking the eggs enough, or not pouring enough Nutella. It needs to be weighed out and I think some people might just use a measuring cup and look at the oz measurement, or they don’t scrape enough of the Nutella out of the cup/bowl.
      Anyway, I hope the recipe turns out well for you! I’ve made it half a dozen times with no problems and I know a lot of people who’ve made it just fine too.

34. Susan — November 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Could you make mini cupcakes out of it? Anybody try?

35. Susan — November 14, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Could you make mini cupcakes in the mini cupcake papers? Wonder?

• Kirbie replied: — November 14th, 2012 @ 10:53 pm

I’m not sure that would work because of the small volume. But I haven’t actually tried

36. winner — November 14, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Can someone tell me from experience/math how much Nutella I need for this in cups?

I don’t have a scale, but I do want to try this recipe!

37. DA — November 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

So I just tried this and it’s pretty good! The texture is like a springy custard due to the egg, but the Nutella taste really shines through.

I poured my mixture into one of those ready made pie crusts and it really compliments it I think. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 10:15 pm

Oh, interesting idea with the pie crusts.

38. Nora — November 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I was just about to post the same question as the above poster. How much nutella is this in cups? Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

I’ve always measured it out, to make sure it is accurate. So I don’t know how much it is in cups, perhaps someone else can help.

39. Ryan — November 15, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Consider this the “poor mans” version of a “letter to the editor” on an already simple, two ingredient recipe…
    I followed all instructions with the exceptions of two small details.
    1. I used an eight inch square glass pan
    2. I used Country Crock spread to grease the pan
    I am happy to announce that this recipe was so easy and worked incredibly. I enjoyed it with Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream. Well done Kirbie, well done! Thanks you so much.

• Kirbie replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 10:16 pm

Glad it worked out!

40. tina — November 16, 2012 at 6:36 am

Hi. I have a question… I mix the entire eggs or without the yolk? Thank you! :D

• Kirbie replied: — November 16th, 2012 @ 9:15 am

Entire egg! Hope you enjoy the recipe!

41. Hoi — November 17, 2012 at 6:46 am

Stir with a spatula in the same clockwise direction. Why in the same clockwise direction? I hope it tastes good. I can’t wait. It’s in the oven now!:) Greetings from the Netherlands!

• Kirbie replied: — November 17th, 2012 @ 8:22 am

The process of making these is similar to a chiffon cake or macarons. You’re basically making a sort of meringue with the eggs. The whipped eggs is what gives the cake the texture. If you stir in opposite directions, it will mess up the meringue you’ve created from the whipped eggs and the cake could fall or not turn out right.

42. Ana Raquel — November 17, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I just did and it looks the same as the one in the picture…
    My husband and I liked the flavor, but as Erin (25), we agreed the flavor of the eggs are stronger than nutella’s. It tastes more like a pudding than like a cake. I don’t have a mixer, so I started with the blender and finished by hand (yes, I did)…it took almost half an hour…O_O My husband told me my right arm is now bigger than the left one… =)
    Besides the flavor of the eggs, I’ll try again…maybe we’ll add some more nutella.
    Anyway, we thank you for the post!

• Kirbie replied: — November 17th, 2012 @ 5:29 pm

I haven’t had the problem of it tasting like eggs. It may be not enough Nutella because when I’ve made it, I can’t taste the eggs at all. I’m impressed with your mixing by hand! Wow. I would not have that energy.

43. Max — November 17, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Just saw this recipe. Had to do it. Went to the store to buy the 2 missing ingredients :P. Amazing! Even my girlfriend liked it and she doesn’t like nutella that much. Anyways, thank you for the recipe, will do again for sure!!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 17th, 2012 @ 5:30 pm

I’m so glad to hear it! You’re gf is so lucky to have you making her cakes!

44. Fiona — November 17, 2012 at 10:43 pm

I baked this cake in muffin papers – the recipe filled 6 papers and I baked them at a lower temp, 180C, for about 20mins. No.7 muffin was a sad flat thing made from bowl scrapings – I felt sorry for him and ate him as soon as he came out of the oven – mmmmmmm.

They turned out moist and delicious, no taste of egg at all. I think the secret is in the fluffy eggs and mixing the egg/nutella together very well.

Thanks for an awesome receipe, <3 from Oz :)

• Kirbie replied: — November 18th, 2012 @ 7:44 am

It’s always great to hear success stories. I’ve made it so many times with no problem, but it’s good to know it is a successful recipe. I’m not sure what people are doing wrong when they end up with egg taste, etc. I think also it’s the whipped eggs or not mixing it very well or not enough Nutella. I’m also glad to know that it works in individual muffin papers. That’s a great way to transport these treats.

45. Sarah — November 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

Just wondering if I would need to fix the amount of eggs/nutella if I have a 9 inch springform pan?

Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — November 18th, 2012 @ 5:46 pm

Most likely yes. I don’t think this has enough batter for a 9 inch, or it will be super thin and not work out right. You probably need 1 1/2 times the recipe.

46. Trent — November 18, 2012 at 12:36 pm

My wife just started a gluten-free diet. She loves Nutella so I picked up a two-pack from Costco.I used 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and it tastes amazing! Thanks for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — November 18th, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

Thanks for letting me know your experience! That is so great to hear. And hopefully your measurements will help those who were asking for a conversion

47. Trent — November 18, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I made a batch in a 9 inch silicone pie pan, sprayed with pam and covered in parchment paper,also sprayed. Came out very easily and still looked like the pic. Beating the eggs long enough is key. I also forgot to heat the Nutella but folding the batter still wasn’t bad. I topped it with rasberry preserves (and a splash of gran marnier :-) Delicious! Can’t believe gluten-free can taste sooooo good! !

• Kirbie replied: — November 18th, 2012 @ 10:28 pm

Yay! I’m glad it still worked.

48. foodie59 — November 23, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Followed carefully and was not impressed. Tasted very eggy. Would it help make it lighter to beat the egg whites and yolks separately?

• Kirbie replied: — November 23rd, 2012 @ 10:41 pm

It seems like you didn’t beat the eggs long/hard enough. As you can see from the comments, that seems to be the issue for the ones that don’t turn out right. I’ve found user a stand mixer makes a difference compared to handheld mixer. Also it really is important that you whip enough air into the eggs, so that they are 3 times the volume. I’m not quite sure how it would taste if you separate the eggs yolks and egg whites. I would imagine it would be more souffle like.

49. Sacha — November 23, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Thank you so much! I needed an effortless recipe for thanksgiving and this was perfect! My boyfriend and my family loved it!

• Kirbie replied: — November 23rd, 2012 @ 10:45 pm

Awesome! I’m so glad that it worked out well for you and your family.

50. PS — November 25, 2012 at 12:41 am

At what temperature does this need to be baked? It just gives the preheating temperature, and would it work on smaller proportions, say half the amount of egg and nutrella?

• Kirbie replied: — November 25th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

The temp it is set to preheat at is the temp that it is supposed to bake at. I’m not sure if it would work with smaller proportions. I’ve never tried. It might not work because you might not have enough eggs to create the volume needed.

51. Kat — November 26, 2012 at 7:48 am

I love this recipe, but I have a bit of a conundrum. I have a friend who is allergic to hazelnuts (among many other things, like peanuts, and dairy products), and I was wondering what I could substitute the Nutella for. It’s perfectly okay if it’s more than two ingredients!

Also, I beat the eggs by hand, but I was a lazypants and used a muffin tin, so mine came out like popovers. Still delicious though!

52. Angie — November 30, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Sounds amazing! I’m going to try it tomorrow – sounds perfect for my work bake sale. Thanks for the recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — November 30th, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

It does sound like an easy thing to make for a bake sale!

53. Oonagh — December 1, 2012 at 8:28 am

I find the Trader Joe’s cocoa almond spread to be thicker than nutella and since it contains some soy flour, I noticed the flavor of soy. But for those of you allergic to hazelnuts it would be an idea. T.J’s e-mailed me and said that it contains no gluten ingredients, not prepared on shared lines but in facility that has wheat. so for those of us gluten intolerant, it is a personal decision as to whether to use it. Whisking the egg yolks and white separately and then combining would probably give more of a meringue texture than a creamy texture from eggs holding the nutella together.

• Kirbie replied: — December 2nd, 2012 @ 12:09 am

Thanks for sharing. I haven’t actually tried TJ’s cocoa almond spread yet.

54. Hannah — December 1, 2012 at 9:55 am

What if I don’t have a springform pan? What would be the next best pan to use?

• Kirbie replied: — December 2nd, 2012 @ 12:09 am

You know, I’ve only tried it in a springfoam pan, so I don’t know how well it rises in other pans. But one of the comments said she made them in cupcake liners and it worked, so maybe try that.

55. Dafra — December 4, 2012 at 9:11 pm

Yummy!!!! I can’t wait to try this!

• Kirbie replied: — December 5th, 2012 @ 9:45 am

I hope you enjoy it!

56. Pres — December 6, 2012 at 3:57 am

Did anyone try it, or everyone just write that it is delicious, before they actually tried it?
    I did bake it, and it’s awful. I am sorry but it tastes of nothing but sweet eggs. Post factum I thought it through and it kind of makes sense – if you have 2 ingredients – chocolate and eggs, it can’t taste any different than of sweet eggs.
    Try it if you want, but be warned! Cheers!

• Kirbie replied: — December 6th, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Actually many people tried it and then left a comment and said it came out great. I even had other bloggers post on their experience. I’ve also made it many times and it comes out great and does not taste of sweet eggs. And eggs can be transformed when they are whipped so that they don’t taste like eggs. Take meringue cookies for example or chocolate souffles.

57. Pres — December 6, 2012 at 4:02 am

I forgot to mention – eggs were beaten until they were 5 times their volume.

58. jason — December 6, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I made this tonight and its absolutely incredible. The family loved it and ill be making it at least monthly.

• Kirbie replied: — December 6th, 2012 @ 1:52 pm

Great! Thank you for the nice comment about your results!

59. JaneCW — December 7, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Very disappointed. Was excited to try this as the boyfriend and I are Nutella fiends and fans of other simple, flourless (even eggy) cakes. Was hugely let down at the result – a spongy, eggy mildly sweet cake – barely a hint of Nutella shining through. Too good to be true, I suppose.

60. Vic — December 9, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi. This cake is amazing!! I was worried after some of the negative comments and I don’t really like quiche because it can be to “eggy” for me. But no eggy taste in my cake. It’s not the prettiest but its yummy. Followed the directions exactly – 4 large eggs beaten with an electric hand beater in a glass bowl for 6 mins timed on my phone. The Nutella measured out at 240 grams. Melted the Nutella slightly and added the eggs in thirds. 25 mins later — Perfect!! Give this recipe a go. It’s worth trying at least. Very happy :-)

• Kirbie replied: — December 9th, 2012 @ 11:03 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience. Yours was like mine. I’m not quite sure what is going wrong with those reporting failures or eggy taste

61. Pres — December 10, 2012 at 1:11 am

Mine was eggy when I first tried it, 1.5-2 hours after it was baked, but when it cools completely after maybe 4 hours it doesn’t anymore. Still tasteless though. I can’t tell what I did wrong, even though I’m not a beginner in cooking and I do know when I did something wrong and it tastes not as it was intended to. But in this case I really can not imagine the intended taste, so I could make mine better the next time I try it (just to prove myself wrong).

• Kirbie replied: — December 10th, 2012 @ 9:39 am

Hmm, well it should taste like Nutella since there’s nothing else in there. Not sure why it would end up tasteless though I’m glad it’s not eggy for you after it cools.

62. Jessi — December 11, 2012 at 10:44 am

Just made it and it turned out great. I used a metal pan and flouted it so the cake wouldn’t stick.it turned out nicley and we ate it with peanut butter (: very yummy!

• Kirbie replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 11:08 am

So glad you enjoyed it! I’m making this again soon for my holiday baking treats.

63. ash — December 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I’m going to make this working on a theory–which is I’m letting the eggs get to room temperature before I work them. I also measured the ‘business’ out of the Nutella (3/4 cup) which I put into a see-through glass measuring cup and microwaved until it was liquid enough to make absolutely certain that it was 3/4 of a cup. Then I added the + 1 TBSP. All of this has been sitting out for a couple of hours. And, simply because where I nanny (we’re making this for the dad’s birthday) only has either one VERY large Springform, or two very little ones, we’re going with the two little ones, and then putting them together with a wee bit of buttercream-coconut frosting in between. Hopefully, there will be enough for me to taste tomorrow so I can tell you how it went!

• Kirbie replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 4:17 pm

I hope your cake turns out!

64. ash — December 12, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Okay, here are my results. 1: ended up using the bigger pan once I saw the HUGENESS of the fluffy eggs, which of course dial themselves down a bunch one you start mixing in the Nutella.
    2: my cake was ugly due to my ineptness with the parchment paper.
    3: I agree with whomever said above that waiting until the cake is completely cool (at the very least) is the first time it should be tried. It did seem quite eggy yesterday, but today much less so. Also, the consistency of the cake matches the picture more today.
    4: I wonder if high altitude has anything to do with anything
    5: I wonder what would happen if I mixed the nutella in with the eggs using the beater on the lowest setting (which still seems sort of rough). Neither #4 or #5 have anything really to do with anything, I think the cake turned out fine. AND probably was really good with the almond/buttermilk/coconut frosting I made, however it got left out over night and that frightened me.

Thanks for the fun!

• Kirbie replied: — December 12th, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

I think high altitude will effect it, but I don’t know by how much. I’ve never tried eating the cake warm. I always let mine cool completely. I guess I didn’t realize people were eating it before it cooled completely until now. But thanks for sharing your results and I’m glad it worked out for the most part. I would still avoid mixing the Nutella with a mixer. I definitely think folding it by hand is best.

65. Jennifer in BreadLand — December 15, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Bit of a mixed review, I’m afraid.
    I was looking forward to this all last week, and have made decadent flourless chocolate cakes before. The technique is fantastic – whipping whole eggs; yay! I got good volume and didn’t deflate it much stirring in the (perfectly measured and prewarmed) Nutella.
    The cake baked up perfectly (looks exactly like the pic) but honestly, sadly, the flavour was not fantastic. As a previous reviewer said, the Nutella doesn’t really shine through as richly as it perhaps could have. Maybe it needs a ground-hazelnut “kick”? It’s a fine, easy cake, but not exactly decadent the way good brownies or fudge is – and it can’t beat a spoonful of Nutella. ;-)
    Will definitely keep this in mind for the Passover season when we don’t use flour, as it is a fabulous technique!

• Kirbie replied: — December 15th, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Hmm, I always thought the Nutella shines through pretty well. Have you tried letting the cake sit and wait, maybe overnight?

66. Jennifer in BreadLand — December 16, 2012 at 10:47 am

@Kirbie, we had this the next day, almost exactly 24 hours later. I’m not saying it wasn’t good – I just think I was expecting something denser, creamier and richer, like actual Nutella only… I dunno. Cakier. :-) I hope I haven’t sounded ungracious. I think it turned out perfectly, so I wanted to share my results. Will definitely try again – maybe with a flavour extract or Frangelico / amaretto for a bit more of a hazelnutty kick.

• Kirbie replied: — December 16th, 2012 @ 11:13 am

Oh, I see. Yeah, it’s not that dense or creamy. The eggs make it light and spongy. Definitely play around with it more if you want a more intense flavor.

67. Claire — December 17, 2012 at 10:22 am

This is fab! I’ve just eaten my first piece. Thanks so much for sharing this.

My nutella was a little bit warm so I think, as mentioned in above posts, that was why it was a little omelettey. I can’t wait to try it again and play about with other options. Also because I’m in the UK I think I cooked it on a higher heat.

I added some choc chips and a little orange essence for a chocolate orange flavour. Beautiful.

Thanks

• Kirbie replied: — December 17th, 2012 @ 11:05 am

Glad you enjoyed it!

68. Jillian — December 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I stumbleuponed this amazing cake! My kids are Nutella junkies! I made it in over sized cupcake wrappers so that they can’t fight over them! In the oven now and It smells amazing!

• Kirbie replied: — December 18th, 2012 @ 9:26 am

I hope you and your kids liked them!

69. Rachel — December 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

It’s slowly rising in the oven! Can’t wait for it to be done :D

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2012 @ 12:09 am

Nice!

70. Rebecca — December 19, 2012 at 12:17 am

Just tried this and it turned out great! Very quick and easy, but yes, make sure you mix the eggs really well. Thanks Kirbie!

• Kirbie replied: — December 19th, 2012 @ 12:53 am

Thanks for sharing your successful story!

71. shorty — December 23, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I was pleasantly surprised about the way this cake turned out. I was weary to try it after seeing the mixed reviews, but I wanted to bake my friends a little something for christmas so I decided to give it a try. I did change two things though: I used three eggs instead of four and baked them as cupcakes. I was so happy when they came out of teh oven and tasted good! Not too sweet, and they are perfect for a quick and easy dessert! Thank you for sharing this recipe, its awesome!

• Kirbie replied: — December 24th, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

I’m so glad you liked it!

72. From Sydney — December 25, 2012 at 12:39 am

Made last night, eggs beaten with hand-held mixer (~10-15 minutes), Nutella approximately measured from the 750g jar, used a 22cm round springform tin so I had to fiddle with the temperature and baking time. Topped with icing sugar and strawberry when done to make it pretty.
    Despite the little tweaks, it luckily turned out very nicely :-)
    We ate it while still a little warm. Not as Nutella-y as I expected, but still delicious. Apparently it went really nice with vanilla ice cream.

• Kirbie replied: — December 25th, 2012 @ 10:06 am

Thanks for sharing your experience! Glad you liked it =)

73. Jessica — December 26, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Would it be okay to just use egg whites to make something like a meringue instead? :>

• Kirbie replied: — December 26th, 2012 @ 8:12 pm

I haven’t tried it, so I’m not sure what the result would be.

74. Christine — December 29, 2012 at 7:22 am

I made this cake this morning and it turned out perfect! There is only a very small piece left as my daughter and husband almost ate the whole lot!! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

• Kirbie replied: — December 29th, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Yay! So happy to hear your story!

75. Natalie — December 29, 2012 at 7:23 am

Am going to try this out but just wondering, how long will it take to cool, and how do you actually fold the Nutella? thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — December 29th, 2012 @ 10:19 am

Folding is a baking term. You basically take a spatula and you mix in the same direction (usually clockwise for me). You sort of lift some of the batter up, then mix it with the rest, but rather than just stirring, it is more of a folding gesture. You can take a look at this video, at 1 min 46 seconds in, this person shows how to fold for macarons. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDo0SgDKLVw&feature=player_embedded

76. Clarita — January 1, 2013 at 5:14 pm

I didn’t read all the comments to see if anyone else already posted this – but I measured 8.5 ounces of nutella to be 13 tablespoons. I hope this helps!

• Kirbie replied: — January 2nd, 2013 @ 9:42 am

Thanks for sharing the measurements!

77. Mary Hudson — January 7, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Nutella omelet . I have been a fan of Nutella since I went to Europe 20 years ago. I was so eager to try this recipe . Whoaaa it was pretty bad. Tasted like eggs.with chocolate. I thought I made a mistake somewhere , but I found several comments on the egg taste. What a waste of good Nutella …

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2013 @ 11:39 pm

I’m sorry yours didn’t turn out but the fact that it tastes like nutella eggs is not right. Yes a few people ended up with Nutella eggs, but you’ll also see a lot of people who had success. Yes, if it’s not made right it will just taste like eggs and Nutella, but if it’s made right it won’t.

78. Kate — January 8, 2013 at 6:43 am

This recipe sounds fantastic. I am going to give it a go today. Would love to give it a mention on my blog – would you be happy for me to?

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 10:07 am

I am okay with a mention as long as you link to me rather than posting my recipe on your blog. thanks!

79. Kate — January 8, 2013 at 10:28 am

Thank you, I wouldn’t dream of posting your recipe on my blog, simply a picture of the cake I have made (rising beautifully in the oven right now and smelling amazing) along with a link to your site so that anyone who is interested can find your recipe. Thanks again, Kate

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2013 @ 10:52 am

Great, thanks! Hope you enjoy your cake =)

80. Rebecca — January 8, 2013 at 9:58 pm

So I tried this and I created a monster

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2013 @ 9:18 am

I’ve never made this recipe in a square pan, always a spring foam pan. I wonder if that makes a difference because the I think the springfoam helps it rise properly. Also the even shape seems to indicate that the consistency of the eggs was noot quite there. The eggs have to basically be transformed by being triple the volume, as this will let it rise. You also need to make sure you fold in the Nutella and not beat it in because if you use the electric mixer for the Nutella, you’ve ruined the volume of the eggs.

81. Rick — January 16, 2013 at 9:31 pm

so good, gone in one night.

• Kirbie replied: — January 17th, 2013 @ 9:59 am

yay!

82. Mike clitorious — January 18, 2013 at 12:37 am

Holy cow this is better than when they came up withh the “hot pocket” BEST MUNCHIE SNACK EVER words can’t describe how Delicious this taste when your stoned .

• Kirbie replied: — January 18th, 2013 @ 9:01 am

lol

83. Cioccotalia — January 25, 2013 at 4:19 pm

This a great and simple recipe. I will include a link to this page in my upcoming newsletter. Im sure our readers will be interested being that we carry Nutella products in our store. Thanks for posting this recipe! Thumbs up! cioa!

84. Ed — February 2, 2013 at 11:26 am

Didn’t like it. Too eggy. Not enough Nutella. It’s a mildly chocolate flavored quiche. Definitely not a cake.

85. Eating and Exercises — February 2, 2013 at 12:04 pm

It’s slowly rising in the oven! Can’t wait for it to be done ;)

86. Cat — February 8, 2013 at 2:21 am

Hi,

amazing receipe! I have one question: do I have to separate the eggs before beating them? Sounds like that, because of the volumething.

Tank you!

Greetings, cat

• Kirbie replied: — February 8th, 2013 @ 9:30 am

Nope, you can achieve the volume without separating them. You just need to beat them on high speed for long enough.

87. Ingrid — February 8, 2013 at 10:07 pm

This recipe worked magnificently! For those who are wondering, I did use a hand mixer on the highest speed for about 10 minutes and it turned out great.

The nutella will seem very very thick when you put the first 1/3 of egg mixture in, just go with it and make sure to scrape the bottom a lot.

Also: a lot of people mentioned that 25 minutes wasn’t enough. This was my experience IF you wait until the knife comes out clean. I actually took it out right at 25 min, when the knife still had a little bit of goo but the top was starting to burn a little. The cake was still totally delicious and moist, so I think it is actually ok to take it out when there are still crumbs and a tiny bit of goo on the knife when you test it.

• Kirbie replied: — February 8th, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

thanks for sharing your positive experience!

88. Joana — February 10, 2013 at 10:41 am

About the eggs, do I use the whole egg or just the whites to beat into a foamy white fluff?

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 9:54 am

The entire egg!

89. Precia Miljour — February 17, 2013 at 1:27 pm

I made the cake and I finde it does tast like egg and I did get the eggs to be 3 Times there volume and I even mixed it for 10 min and it was almost coming out of the container :) but I stil think it tastes eggy. It is in the frig now so I am going to tast it again once it is done cooling. I am making another one now and I added more Nutella in the one to see if it makes a difference :)

90. Precia Miljour — February 17, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I made another cake but added more Nutella I used about 1 1/4 cup of Nutella and it took almost all the eggy tast away :)

• Kirbie replied: — February 17th, 2013 @ 10:35 pm

Actually if you weigh the Nutella, I believe 8 1/2oz weighs to be a little more than one cup, so 1 1/4 sounds about right. Also it’s hard to get the entire amount of Nutella needed from measuring cup to bowl since it’s so sticky and messy. Glad it worked out for you though.

91. Reghi — February 23, 2013 at 9:42 am

Hi, thanks for this lovely recipe! I’ve just finished baking it and it’s absolutely delicious, tastes like nutella fluffiness, no trace of egg if you beat them patiently. One issue though, I’ve used a normal baking tray and the cake has a wavy form, it’s not as flat as I hoped. The taste and the texture are still excellent!

• Kirbie replied: — February 24th, 2013 @ 12:41 am

Yes! Glad to hear it worked for you. I think people who end up with an eggy mixture either didn’t beat the eggs long enough or didn’t put enough Nutella. I think a lot of people are taking shortcuts. Perhaps not weighing out the Nutella or not beating the eggs, etc. Oh well. But I’m happy yours turned out well. I think the springfoam pan helps keep the surface a little smoother, but mine wasn’t perfect either.

92. CMills — March 1, 2013 at 12:14 pm

So I am very glad this pin came up while searching how to clean a baking pan. This is way better than what I was originally looking for!

• Kirbie replied: — March 1st, 2013 @ 3:29 pm

haha, nice!

93. jojo — March 18, 2013 at 9:51 am

:) hi… this sounds amazing! Excited to try it! But just confused, do I need to separate the yolks from the egg whites?

• Kirbie replied: — March 18th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

nope. you just need to keep beating them until they triple in volume.

94. jojo — March 19, 2013 at 8:41 am

thanks :)

• Kirbie replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 9:08 pm

you’re welcome!

95. joyce — March 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I can hardly wait to make this cake. Could I double the recipe as I am making it for a larger crowd. If so do I need to change the amount of time required to bake it. I am using a 9 inch spring form pan and would like the cake to be higher. Thanks. I am eagerly awaiting your reply. Joyce

• Kirbie replied: — March 20th, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

I haven’t tried doubling it. I’m not sure you can get the cake to be higher. It’s such a delicate cake with only two ingredients… It doesn’t really work like a regular cake so I would be worried that doubling might cause it to fail.

96. Steph — March 23, 2013 at 5:48 am

Hi I tried it yesterday without using an electric whisk, took me about 20 mins to whisk the eggs and I accidentally put double the amount of nutella in…but it turned out fine! Not as hazelnutty as i was expecting but it still tasted good as my boyfriend ate the entire cake in one eve! Such a good recipe!

• Kirbie replied: — March 23rd, 2013 @ 2:06 pm

Wow, whisking for 20 minutes! So glad it came out well for you though

97. Gina — March 26, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Can I make this with melted chocolate instead of Nutella?

• Kirbie replied: — March 27th, 2013 @ 12:03 am

I don’t think you can do an exact substitute. Melted chocolate doesn’t have the same consistency or amount of oil.

98. iwanttobeapie — March 30, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Do not try this without a machine mixer. It tastes like an omelet that was made in a cadbury’s rubber band factory. If you like eating chocolate neoprene for dessert then by all means make this. Otherwise steer clear.

• Kirbie replied: — March 31st, 2013 @ 7:09 am

I agree that the machine mixer should be used. But as you can see from the comments, there’s a few people who’ve done it successfully by hand but it’s a lot of work.

99. Michael — April 1, 2013 at 5:39 am

How much of a jar of Nutella is this? I don’t have a scale. From the comments, it seems that measuring 1-1/4 cups would work. I’m dying to try this.

• Kirbie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 8:30 am

I don’t know how much of a jar it is. Also I use Costco size jars. You may want to try 1 1/4 cup but I always use a scale.

100. Abbey — April 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm

So good! I used almond butter from Costco, about 3/4 cup… I used a 1 cup measuring cup but not quite all the way. Added a tsp of coco powder and tsp baking soda. It turned out super fluffy! I put pecans on bottom of pan and a few chic chips on top of batter. 20 min and done! THANK YOU

• Kirbie replied: — April 12th, 2013 @ 10:27 am

Oh interesting variation. I want to try doing an almond butter one now.

101. susana — April 21, 2013 at 6:58 am

can someone give me this recipe in grams and not ounces please

102. Tom Burwell — April 25, 2013 at 11:24 pm

can the same theory be applied using peanut butter do you think?

103. Stevie — April 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm

susana: 8 and a half ounces would be 240 grams, you can round up and make it 250 grams to make it sure you don’t use less than necessary

104. locohoya — April 27, 2013 at 12:22 pm

forgive my ignorance but what’s parchment paper? is that like wax paper?

• Kirbie replied: — April 29th, 2013 @ 9:54 am

No! The two are not the same though they look similar. You should be able to find it in the baking aisle and it’s labeled parchment paper.

105. Lesley - Scottish Mum Blog — April 27, 2013 at 12:27 pm

These look absolutely amazing and I know ounces. Perfect for me as my kids are nutella fans for sure.

106. Laura — April 27, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Love this recipe! Just made it and is a keeper. Used a stand mixer and followed instructions. Turned out very good, add a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream and blackberries.

• Kirbie replied: — April 29th, 2013 @ 9:53 am

I’m so happy you like it!

107. Rosanne — April 27, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Made it today, only had 9 in spring form pan, so needed more and also thought it would be better to use whole container of Nutella than have to measure out a portion, so increased measures to the whole 13 oz jar, and 6 eggs. Wonderful, baked about 30 – 32 min.

• Kirbie replied: — April 29th, 2013 @ 9:52 am

Glad you successfully made it work with the increased portions!

108. Michelle — May 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm

I just made it and it worked! Not nearly as sweet and dense as I expected, but definitely goes great with a glass of milk! I left it in for 30 minutes–while baking it leaned towards one side but once it set it was nice and flat :)
    However I did use a regular dark baking pan and buttered it and I couldn’t get the whole thing out in one piece (I had to cut in two and jimmy it out) so next time I should listen to you and use parchment. :P

• Kirbie replied: — May 20th, 2013 @ 8:44 am

Glad you like it! And yes, try the parchment paper next time!

109. ryan — June 1, 2013 at 7:53 pm

wow this looks amazing have to try

• Kirbie replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 8:30 am

yes, give it a try!

110. Ces — June 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

In the oven now! Thanks so much. I am always looking for easy, quick, go-to recipes

• Kirbie replied: — June 8th, 2013 @ 8:33 am

Hope you like it!

111. Manda — June 21, 2013 at 10:31 pm

I started my egg whites in my blender 5 minutes on whip, then added the egg yolks one by one and mixed for another minute after all were incorporated.. poured that mixture into a bowl and hand beat with a whisk for about 2 minutes, folded 1/3rd the egg mix into the nutella that i’d softened, and before adding each of the remaining 3rds of the egg mixture, I whipped them with my whisk for another 30 seconds or so each time, making sure they stayed nice and fluffed up since I don’t have a hand or stand mixer, I greased a 1 time use 8×8 inch pan with lots of butter and popped it into the oven.. it is smelling divine and I have no doubt in my mind it’s going to turn out spectacular <3

• Kirbie replied: — June 22nd, 2013 @ 10:47 pm

I haven’t tried separating the eggs, but I imagine it will be more stable if you whip the egg whites first. Hope you like it!

112. anbb — June 24, 2013 at 7:51 am

Wow, look delicious, want to eat

113. Jouman — June 24, 2013 at 2:45 pm

U see how u put the nutella in the microwave for 20 seconds, I don’t have a microwave so how long do I put it in the oven after its preheated????

• Kirbie replied: — June 24th, 2013 @ 11:47 pm

I put the Nutella in the microwave so that it gets heated, making it more runny. You can try doing it on the stove or in the oven, just long enough to get it warm so it isn’t as thick.

114. Sherri — June 24, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Just made these with my little brothers and we all loved them! I used 2 regular sized eggs but I had to cook mine for about 45mins because my oven is broken and everything takes forever to cook in there lol. Thanks again! will definitely be sharing this page with my family.

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2013 @ 8:46 am

I’m glad it worked out for you!

115. Eva — June 25, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I just made this and it basically tastes like a chocolate omelette -__-

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2013 @ 1:00 pm

it sounds like your eggs were not whipped enough, or you did not have enough Nutella in the batter. It should not taste like a chocolate omelette.

116. Augustana — June 30, 2013 at 8:59 am

I don’t love Nutella as much as everyone else. (Probably due to an incident in which more Nutella was consumed than should have been)

However, I have a literal ton of leftover truffle mix(heavy cream, chocolate).

I assume this would work the same, but maybe not.
    I really want to try this as I need to get rid of the mix and just can’t make anymore truffles.

One of the mixes I have left over IS a hazelnut coffee truffle. The other is a bourbon chocolate. I was planning on adding a touch of coffee extract to enhance the chocolate.

What do you think?

• Kirbie replied: — June 30th, 2013 @ 9:06 am

I dont know for sure, but my guess is that it won’t work quite right. A recipe with so few ingredients are quite delicate. If you try to replace it with something else with a different consistency with a diff amount of oil, etc, it likely won’t work. I’ve never worked with truffle mix, is it liquid? powder? It sounds like you may be able to use your leftovers to make another kind of cake or cookies

117. Augustana — June 30, 2013 at 11:26 am

It’s solid. It was just heavy cream brought almost to a boil and poured over chopped chocolate and whipped sort of. It melts back down to ganache, like you’d put on a cake.

I’ve been looking for recipes and haven’t found any that weren’t just “hey, make truffles with your leftover ganache”.

• Kirbie replied: — July 1st, 2013 @ 11:35 am

Hmm, it might work if you melt it down, but I just don’t know. I was brainstorming other uses for your truffle mix. If you like mug cakes, it might work well in this one http://kirbiecravings.com/2013/03/four-ingredient-nutella-mug-cake.html, but sub out the Nutella with the truffle mix. I’ve made variations on that one using chocolate candy, etc, and it comes out well, so I think it would work with your truffle mix. Or maybe use it as a ganache frosting for donuts? I love baking mini donuts and dipping them in chocolate ganache.

118. Reane — July 7, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Can I use butter or coconut oil to grease the pan?

• Kirbie replied: — July 7th, 2013 @ 9:32 pm

Yes on the butter. I haven’t baked with coconut oil so I’m not sure, but I’m guessing it should be okay.

119. Reane — July 7, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Can I use salted butter or coconut oil to grease the pan?

• Kirbie replied: — July 7th, 2013 @ 9:33 pm

It might make the exterior slightly salty. Not sure. I always use unsalted.

120. aron — July 9, 2013 at 3:45 am

I just took it out of the oven, looks good.

• Kirbie replied: — July 9th, 2013 @ 8:24 am

nice!!

121. Krin — July 10, 2013 at 1:32 pm

Can you make this ahead of time and freeze it?

• Kirbie replied: — July 10th, 2013 @ 11:19 pm

I haven’t tried freezing it.

122. Sophia — July 11, 2013 at 9:38 pm

I made this recently and loved it! Check it out on my blog:

123. Ji — August 2, 2013 at 3:33 am

I tried this, and it was delicious!
    For an absolute beginner, I guess writing down “Egg White” instead of just egg will reduce the chance of confusion.
    Somehow mine came out to be really flat. I guess that’s got to do with the size of the spring form. (mine was 9″)
    But I gotta say, it tastes really good!! :)

• Kirbie replied: — August 2nd, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

Yes, yours is likely flatter due to the wide spring foam pan size. I don’t know what you mean by egg white. You are supposed to use whole eggs.

124. sarah — August 3, 2013 at 7:32 am

Oh my goodness. I am SO gonna try this. Even *I* can’t get this wrong, surely?! lol.
    Thanks for sharing =]

125. Grace — August 10, 2013 at 12:04 pm

How much do you need in grams? Also do you have to use nutella? Or can you use chocolate spread?

• Kirbie replied: — August 11th, 2013 @ 8:20 am

I don’t know the measurement in grams, only ounces. You can try a google search for a conversion. though if you are using a scale, it should be able to switch between grams and ounces right? Because this is weighted ounces, not just a measurement of liquid ounces. I have not tried it with chocolate spread.

126. Pat — August 11, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Ever since I was little the “main trick” to ANY meringue (beating eggs or just whites) is “use a smooth, large Crockery bowl” that had been IN the Fridge cooling! (crockery is THE very best at keeping the temperature) I have seen Angel food cakes & Souffles that look like God made them. Very tall, puffy, & fluffy & heavenly to taste!! YES – the other trick is to “”VERY GENTLY”” fold in the Nutella (or any ingredient for that matter) a “little” at a time! Stopping to re-chill for a bit if necessary!!

• Kirbie replied: — August 12th, 2013 @ 8:21 am

thanks for your tips. I’ve never used a Crockery bowl before.

127. Inga — August 21, 2013 at 11:10 am

Has anyone figured out how much Nutella to use without using a scale (which I don’t have)?

• Kirbie replied: — August 21st, 2013 @ 11:38 am

I recall a couple of people posting conversion in the comments though I haven’t tried it without a scale myself

128. Vasco GT — September 11, 2013 at 2:56 am

Am I supposed to whip the eggs with or without the yolk?

• Kirbie replied: — September 11th, 2013 @ 9:51 am

With. You dont need to separate them. But you do need to whip long enough so that it triples in volume.

129. anu — September 14, 2013 at 12:43 am

By parchment paper do you mean butter paper? Is it okay if I usebutter paper?

• Kirbie replied: — September 16th, 2013 @ 12:19 am

I’ve never actually heard of the term butter paper, but I just looked it up and I think it’s the same, based on what I’m reading of the definition of butter paper.

130. Anna — September 21, 2013 at 8:08 am

yooo 20-25 mins at 350F my ASS this cake hella burnt

• Kirbie replied: — September 21st, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

I’m not sure why yours is burnt. Perhaps your oven runs hotter than normal? There’s hundreds of comments on here that followed the recipe as is and didnt have any issues of the time being wrong

131. Carine — October 10, 2013 at 5:51 am

Je l’ai fait ce matin, et je viens tout juste de le goûter. Il est excellent! Je le referais sans hésiter…

132. mariam — November 2, 2013 at 6:33 am

Hi i wanted to ask how you are supposed to measure the nutella amount, ause its spread, so um, how do you do it

• Kirbie replied: — November 2nd, 2013 @ 10:18 am

The recipe requires it be measured in weight, so use a kitchen scale

133. Tim — November 25, 2013 at 11:53 am

Hi Kirbie!

I was wondering if you had any tips for adding liqueur to this? I’m afraid of mussing it up by adding Bailey’s and would love any advice you have!

• Kirbie replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 4:21 pm

I haven’t tried, but I imagine if you add a little bit of Bailey’s (maybe 2 tbsp) it should be okay. If you add too much it might make the batter too liquidy.

134. Rachael — December 22, 2013 at 4:23 am

I am currently in rural China teaching English to 7th graders, and all I have to use is a rice-cooker to bake things in. I’m going to try this recipe and hope it works =]

• Kirbie replied: — December 22nd, 2013 @ 9:08 am

good luck. Not sure how it will work in a rice cooker but I’m curious!

135. Lizzie — December 24, 2013 at 11:40 am

My brother and I did this together today, and it was so fun! We didn’t even need any help. :-) Thank you so much for sharing! we will be enjoying it shortly! (It is still baking) Again, thank you, we had so much fun.

• Kirbie replied: — December 26th, 2013 @ 12:07 am

Hope you both enjoyed it!

• Kirbie replied: — December 26th, 2013 @ 12:08 am

Hope you both enjoyed it!!

136. Sylvia — January 8, 2014 at 5:03 am

I haven’t tried this yet but it sounds interesting. Would it retain more air if you whipped the egg yolks and whites separately? Then you could mix the softened Nutella into the egg yolks first (sort of like tempering it) and finally fold that mixture into the egg white meringue. Do you think that would work? :)

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 9:48 am

I imagine it should work but I haven’t tried it. I like the idea of being able to do this is just two steps without separating the eggs.

• Kirbie replied: — January 8th, 2014 @ 9:49 am

I imagine it should work but I haven’t tried. I like the idea of being able to do this is just two steps without separating the eggs.

137. Samantha — January 31, 2014 at 12:55 pm

OMG!!! I did this today!! And it tastes amazing!!!!!! I loved it, and my Nutella addicted boyfriend said it was the best cake in the world!! :3 thank you!!!!!!

• Kirbie replied: — February 1st, 2014 @ 12:37 am

Awesome! thanks for letting me know!

138. Hermilie smith — February 3, 2014 at 2:26 am

The Nutella Cake looking so delicious and yummy . I just want to taste this now but I will wait until I prepare it by myself.

• Kirbie replied: — February 3rd, 2014 @ 3:29 pm

Hope you enjoy!

139. Nydia — February 27, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I did it twice the first one came out just like your picture and tasted ok but the second it tasted idk not so good and idk why maybe bc i kind of just random put the amount of nutella and i just eaten right away lol

• Kirbie replied: — February 28th, 2014 @ 1:26 am

It could be either. If you didn’t measure it, it could make a huge difference. And if you eat it right away the chocolate flavor is not that strong yet.

140. Pearlyn — June 18, 2014 at 12:36 pm

How are the eggs supposed to be like after beating? (firm/stiff peaks?

• Kirbie replied: — June 18th, 2014 @ 12:40 pm

no, they will still be just beaten eggs, but the volume should have tripled.

141. Rachel R. — June 24, 2014 at 3:20 pm

FYI, you might want to file a DMCA takedown with these guys: http://crazyfood.net/the-34-simple-two-ingredient-recipes

Probably wouldn’t be so bad if there were a LINK here, but I didn’t see one. :( I had to track down your site.

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2014 @ 12:53 am

thanks for the tip. interesting enough, this is actually an article published previously by another site. But the original site linked to all the recipes. So many violations here, from taking the original article to all these recipes.

142. Naomi — July 8, 2014 at 4:37 am

Hello just made this today!
    I whipped the eggs till they were soft peaks and then folded in the Nutella! It rose a lot in the oven and then sank as soon as I got it out, anyway I doesn’t taste like how I imagined it to be! And it’s also gone abit rubbery. Any idea what I did wrong? Would love some advice as I am going to try it again. Thanks in advance

• Kirbie replied: — July 8th, 2014 @ 8:25 am

hmm, i’ve never head of it going rubbery. it sounds like your eggs weren’t whipped enough, which would cause the cake to sink. they should be whipped until 3 times the volume. Also you should be careful folding in the nutella. You don’t want to be too vigorous otherwise you will mess up the egg structure. another thing, perhaps it wasn’t finished baking.if it’s not fully cooked, that could also cause it to rise and then sink because it’s not done in the middle.

143. Nafi — July 8, 2014 at 4:06 pm

Way to steal a recipe from Masterchef Australia!

• Kirbie replied: — July 8th, 2014 @ 7:36 pm

i think you should be accusing masterchef australia of stealing the recipe from me! I just looked up the recipe. Found a few australian websites claiming to have created it but they are all recent. if you look at the post title, my post was created back in 2012 One of the sites I found even use the same “notes” i put on my post but rephrased it.

144. Laura — August 21, 2014 at 10:03 am

So I found this recipie and got very excited. I had very high hopes for this to work and I followed the directions exactly but my product was absolutely horrible. It tasted like egg… really unpleasantly. I have no idea what I did wrong. I’ve been baking forever and this was just so awful. The only thing edible on this for me was the crust on top. Everything beneath it was omlet. It smelled so good too! I’m very sad.

• Kirbie replied: — August 21st, 2014 @ 10:38 am

did you make sure to whip the eggs to triple the volume? and gently fold in the Nutella rather than beat it in with a mixer? the key really is to get the eggs right before you make it so it doesnt end up being like an omelet. It also helps if you let it cool before eating.

145. JESSIE — August 31, 2014 at 7:18 pm

I just made this and pretty much did all the no-no’s and it still turned out AMAZING!!
    - I didn’t have a springform pan so I used a 9” round pan (lined with parchment paper)
    - I do not have a scale so I reference a previous post that suggesting using 1 1/4 cups of Nutella, since I used a bigger pan I used 1.5 the amount of ingredients so I did 1 7/8 cups of Nutella and 6 eggs
    - I used a hand mixer to whip the eggs  (about 11-12 minutes)
    - I baked it for around 35 min. until the knife came out clean
    *Like you said the key is whipping the eggs until they triple in volume AND folding in the egg mixture to the Nutella…and waiting to eat it for an hour.
    Thanks again for sharing!!!

• Kirbie replied: — September 1st, 2014 @ 12:31 am

i’m happy it worked out for you!

146. Laura — September 24, 2014 at 10:56 am

Simply divine!!! Enough said!!

147. Scott — October 15, 2014 at 9:14 am

Please include METRIC measurements, as not everyone is from the US! I wouldn’t know an ounce from a yard to save my life. Thanks

• Kirbie replied: — October 15th, 2014 @ 10:15 am

I’m sorry, but I am based in the US and these are the measurements I used. There are several websites that provide conversions. I use them all the time when I try recipes that don’t use US measuring cups.