Coffee Cake Mug Cake seems like a title with a typo but I didn’t know how else to name it, since I wanted to be clear this is meant to be a coffee cake rather than a coffee flavored cake.
Someone suggested I try making a coffee cake. I was pretty hesitant because the texture isn’t the same as other cakes. It’s more dense with a harder crumb. Also I didn’t know how the streusel would cook in the microwave. Turns out the streusel was the easy part.
The streusel. Oh the streusel. It was so good. Microwaving it didn’t hurt it at all. I could just eat streusel all day.
I added some sour cream to the batter to give the cake the tang that is present in a coffee cake. I don’t think the texture is spot on. It’s something I’ll have to work on. It’s not a bad texture, it’s just not as coarse and dense as a coffee cake. I’ll have to fiddle around with it some more.
If you love mug cakes, you can check out my other mug cakes here.
Coffee Cake Mug Cake
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 1.5 mins
Total Time: 11.5 mins
- 5 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tbsp butter (not melted)
- 1 1/2 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
1. Combine all ingredients except streusel ingredients into oversized mug. Stir with a small whisk or fork until batter is smooth. Make sure your mug is very big or else the streusel will slide right out during cooking. You can divide batter into two mugs, but then I recommend doubling the streusel recipe.
2. Make streusel in small bowl with fork until butter is mixed with the flour and sugar and resembles a coarse topping.
3. Cook in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.