Oreo Funfetti Cupcakes
To celebrate Oreo’s 100th birthday this year, a limited edition birthday cake Oreo was released. They are basically regular Oreos except that the cream layer has sprinkles inside. Very festive and reminds me of funfetti. One side of the cookie says “Oreo 100” and the other side is the regular pattern we are used to.
I was trying to locate these limited edition Oreos for the longest time. Finally, a tweet from captaincrabapple alerted me that they were in stock at a CVS near me and on sale. So after a few months of searching, I finally had a box. Yay!
After downing a couple, my mind started churning to think of recipe ideas. The most obvious was cupcakes.
I’ve made a few version of oreo cupcakes before: Oreo chocolate cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting, cookies and cream cupcakes with cookies and cream frosting. This time I made a funfetti and cookies and cream batter, to match the birthday Oreos, and of course the delicious cookies and cream whipped cream frosting I love using for my Oreo cupcakes.
These came out quite nice. The funfetti and cookies and cream was a nice combination. For good measure, I also stuck an oreo at the bottom of each cupcake. As a personal preference, the chocolate version is probably still my favorite but I enjoyed this one too.
Oreo Funfetti Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup of sprinkles
1 cup crushed Oreos
24 whole oreo cookies
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
6 Oreo cookies, finely crushed in food processor
24 Oreos for the top of each cupcake
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Line 2 (1/2 cup-12 capacity) muffin tins with cupcake papers. Place a whole oreo at the bottom of each cupcake.
3. In a small bowl, combine the flours. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Add half of the flour mixture and half of the milk and mix. Add in remaining flour and milk and mix until batter is smooth.
5. Add in sprinkles and crushed oreos and mix into batter. Carefully spoon the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops are golden and a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
6. Cool cupcakes before frosting.
7. While cupcakes cool, make the frosting. While cupcakes are cooling make the frosting. For the frosting, in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed until the whipped cream holds stiff peaks. Crush 6 oreo cookies in a food processor (if you don’t own one, you should finely crush the oreos into small crumbs or else the cookies will get stuck in the piping bag or piping tip). Gently fold in the cookie crumbs with a spatula. Frost as desired (I used the Wilton 1M tip). Then top each cupcake with an oreo cookie.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!