Blondies are often called brownies without the chocolate. I actually didn’t know much about blondies until I started this blog. In general, I prefer brownies over blondies because I love chocolate.

But I thought blondies would be the perfect base for making a chewy Nutella treat. I’ve tried making Nutella brownies but the chocolate always seems to overwhelm the Nutella. I decided to experiment using a blondie base to solve this problem. Though the question remains, if I add Nutella, which is a chocolate hazelnut spread, to a blondie, can I still call it a blondie or is it now a brownie?

No matter what these are called, they are delicious. These were exactly what I hoped for. Nutella taste and super chewy. Much like the chewy texture of box mix brownies, a texture which I can never seem to achieve when making brownies from scratch.

Unfortunately, the middle of these sank in. It probably wouldn’t have been as apparent if I had used a 9 x 13 pan. But instead I baked it in my Baker’s Edge Brownie Pan. So instead of sinking all across the surface, the sinking middle section didn’t have anywhere to really go so each piece was uneven. Not the prettiest dessert, but it was so good I had to share it.

I’ll work on making a recipe that doesn’t sink in the middle, but I will definitely be making these again. These also got the FH’s seal of approval.

Print Print Save Save

Cheyw Nutella Blondies

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups (packed) light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup Nutella
1 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; set aside.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until fluffy and creamy. Beat in the vanilla and eggs. Add in the Nutella.
4. With the stand mixer on low speed, add the dry ingredients, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips. Spread batter (it will be closer to the consistency of cookie dough) into prepared pan and use a spatula to smooth the top.
5. Bake for about 40 minutes, until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting and serving.

Adapted from Dorie Greenspan's Baking: From My Home to Yours

12 Responses to “Chewy Nutella Blondies/Brownies”

1. Julie @ Table for Two — May 3, 2012 at 4:46 am

You can’t even tell the sinkage from these pictures! They look great :) and I’m sure they’re even more delicious. My favorite texture of brownies are the chewy kind and it’s even better that these have nutella in them!

• Kirbie replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 8:42 am

I was really happy with the texture of these. I don’t know why all the scratch brownies I make never have the chewy texture whereas these blondies definitely do. Yeah I was thinking that it’s actually hard to see the sinkage in the pictures, but in real life they seemed more unveven.

2. Kay — May 3, 2012 at 7:08 am

I love anything Nutella, these look delicious!

• Kirbie replied: — May 3rd, 2012 @ 8:44 am

These were so easy to make and so good! I’m making them again soon.

3. Abigail — May 3, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I have so much love for your obsession with chocolate right now, if you’re ever in Vancouver (Canada!) give me a shout and I will gladly bring you around for the price of a couple brownies.

• Kirbie replied: — May 4th, 2012 @ 8:38 am

I have been wanting to visit Vancouver. I will keep you in mind when I finally make the trip. =)

4. Jordan — August 18, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Hi what’s the weight in grams of 2 sticks of butter?

5. Cou — June 2, 2013 at 4:28 am

I love love love your recipes and I try to make one every once in a while but every time the end result is a puddle of oil ;__; I’m using a convection oven do you think that’s the reason why I can’t make anything? Oh and the temperature is always a little off since the temperatures on the convection oven goes up in 10s.

• Kirbie replied: — June 3rd, 2013 @ 8:29 am

I think it is because of the convection oven. Convection ovens do bake differently with different results. I’m not sure how to adjust my recipes for a convection oven though.

6. omair — August 19, 2013 at 12:31 pm

OMG.. I love your recipes, i think i should make it for my lovely mother & Aunt, I’ve made the Nuttella cookies from your recipes it really tasted delicious also my aunt loved it.

• Kirbie replied: — August 19th, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

Aw, I’m so glad you like my recipes. =)