My mom recently gave me a bottle of hazelnut creamer which I find every excuse to use. The other morning, while pouring some of the creamer into my coffee, I had a thought. What if I could make a Nutella-like frosting by making a chocolate ganache with hazelnut creamer instead of heavy cream?
I haven’t had much success frosting with regular Nutella because of the consistency. The closest I’ve done is a Nutella whipped cream frosting. It’s really good, but I loved the idea of a chocolate hazelnut ganache idea even better.
I made the chocolate hazelnut ganache using the hazelnut creamer, but the hazelnut taste was too light and was overwhelmed by the chocolate. Then I got my hands on hazelnut extract. And it provided the extra oomph I needed. A few drops and it made the frosting taste much more Nutella-like.
I love the way ganache frosting pipes out, so smooth and glossy. The Nutella cupcakes are based on the Nutella bundt cake I previously made. The cakes came out light and Nutella-y. The frosting made it even better. You can check out all my Nutella recipes here.
Nutella Cupcakes with Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache frosting
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup milk
1 cup Nutella
Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache frosting
4 cups of chopped chocolate
1 cup minus 4 tbsp of hazelnut creamer (use dry rather than liquid measuring cup)
2 tsp of hazelnut extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two cupcake trays with cupcake liners.
2. In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the softened butter with paddle attachment on medium high speed until smooth about 2 minutes. Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add in the Nutella and mix until Nutella is thoroughly mixed. Add half the flour mixture and half the milk and mix. Add in remaining flour mixture and milk and mix until batter is smooth.
4. Pour batter into cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes.
5. While cupcakes are cooling, make the frosting. Place chopped chocolate in a glass bowl. Heat hazelnut cream in the microwave for about 50-60 seconds so it is piping hot/boiling and pour onto chocolate. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Add in hazelnut extract and mix.
6. Place ganache into the fridge for about 10-15 minutes so that it cools, but has not yet hardened. Place ganache into a piping bag and pipe onto cupcakes.