Monday, May 28, 2012

Two Ingredient Pumpkin Ice Cream Bread

Ice cream + flour = bread. Seriously?

I couldn’t believe it myself when I saw it on Newlyweds. I didn’t know how it would work. I still can’t explain it. But it works. I used pumpkin ice cream and came up with this pumpkin bread that tastes similar to the pumpkin quick breads I bake in October.

You can use any flavor ice cream. I was originally going to use chocolate like the recipe I came across, but then I found this unopened pumpkin ice cream I bought from Trader Joe’s and forgot about until I cleaned out my freezer. The bold spices in the pumpkin ice cream seemed perfect for making a good tasting bread with only two ingredients.

This was so easy to make and tasted good too. I would definitely make this again. You just need to melt some ice cream, add in some self rising flour, stir and mix and it’s ready to go in the oven. I did make some slight tweaks. Since I only have a 9 x 5 loaf pan, I decided to do 1 1/2 times the original recipe. I was also out of self rising flour, so I had to make my own, so technically I had to use more than two ingredients. Still super easy.

If you like these very few ingredient type of recipes like me, I finally created a category for recipes with Four Ingredients or Less.

Pumpkin Ice Cream Bread

3 cups of pumpkin ice cream, softened/mostly melted
2 1/4 cups self rising flour (If you dont have self rising flour, use all purpose flour and add 3 tsp baking powder and 3/4 tsp salt)

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, mix softened ice cream and flour with large wooden spoon until combined and no ice cream of flour chunks remain. Scoop batter into loaf pan. Bake for approximately 55-65 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.

Slightly adapted from recipe found on Newlyweds who adapted it from Cooking with Libbey

15 Responses to “Two Ingredient Pumpkin Ice Cream Bread”

Leucadia Chiropractic — May 29, 2012 @ 12:42 am

Just tried this ice cream out too and really enjoyed it. You should also try the pumpkin souffle in the frozen dessert section. They are incredible!

Jenna @ Newlyweds — May 29, 2012 @ 5:30 am

So loving your version, pumpkin ice cream, why didn’t I think of that, ha ha. Looks so pretty and I bet is just delicious!! So glad you liked the recipe.

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 8:40 am

I want to try chocolate next! But I was thrilled with the pumpkin, especially since it already has nutmeg cinnamon and all the spices inside the ice cream which adds a lot of flavor to the bread.

Mary — May 29, 2012 @ 7:11 am

It does sound pretty weird, but I guess if you think about what goes into ice cream, it’s not really that weird. Sounds very interesting at least! I bet it was good with the pumpkin spices.

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 8:35 am

it wasn’t so much weird for me, but I thought maybe bread would need a little more to it than what can be provided through ice cream. I guess you kind of have all the essentials: oil, milk, rising agent. So it does make sense sort of. But yeah it was really good!

Kay — May 29, 2012 @ 10:03 am

I can’t believe this works! I’ll have to give it a try soon :o )

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 10:14 am

I was very pleasantly surprised. It really seemed like a quick bread with all the other usual ingredients needed.

Ann P. — May 29, 2012 @ 10:33 am

I am laughing helplessly because usually the only obstacle keeping me from baking bushels and bushels of delicious treats is laziness. With all your mug cakes and simple recipes like this one, you have completely removed all of these inhibiting factors. Such an enabler!! But a good one nonetheless… ;)

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 10:20 pm

Yup, no more excuses for you! Go make it. ;-)

brighteyedbaker — May 29, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Ice cream and flour… who knew?? I guess the only “glitch” is saving enough ice cream to make it!

• Kirbie replied: — May 29th, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

Haha. Yeah it’s hard for me to part with ice cream too. =)

Aruna Advaney — June 1, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Seriously?!?!? Ice cream and flour turns into bread?!?! No way! I never heard of such a thing! Thanks for sharing. :)

What if I were to mix this bread into a blizzard? Would it then turn back into ice cream and disappear into the rest of the ice cream?

• Kirbie replied: — June 1st, 2012 @ 8:01 pm

I’m not sure the answer to that. I dont think it will disappear once it becomes bread though.

Laura Johnson — May 17, 2013 @ 6:10 pm

My sister told me about this recipe yesterday. I thought,” no way is this going to work!’ Wonder of wonders it did! Plus it’s so good warm with butter and blueberry jam on it! Who’d a thunk it!!!!

• Kirbie replied: — May 18th, 2013 @ 11:40 pm