Monday, June 25, 2012

Healthier 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake

I made a chocolate cake this weekend that is easier and healthier than the original recipe and the best part is, it tastes better too.

You know I’m obsessed with easy recipes with only a handful of ingredients. I’ve been particularly obsessed with the different things you can make with cake mix. I used to make cake mix recipes to get rid of cake mix. But lately I’ve found myself buying more cake mix just so I can try out various recipes.

I found this recipe on Hungry Girl. I’ve already made some of the other chocolate cake mix variations: pumpkin puree and chocolate cake mix, coke and chocolate cake mix, but this is definitely my favorite variation yet.

Cake mix + Nonfat Greek Yogurt + water. Three ingredients and you get a fudgy, chocolate cake. And it’s delicious. So delicious that I actually prefer it over the original cake that comes from baking up the cake mix with eggs and oil. It’s that good.

The cake sinks down when it cools down so it almost looks like a brownie. The texture is similar to a cross between cake and brownie too. If you want it to be taller, you could use a smaller baking pan. I used a 9 x 13, but I think next time I might use a 9 x 9 for a thicker cake.

The cake is really rich and you don’t taste the Greek yogurt, nor does it really taste like cake mix. It’s great on its own and I think it would also be a great base for making homemade ice cream sandwiches. If you enjoy recipes with very few ingredients, check out the other ones I’ve made, all with four ingredients or less.

Healthier Three Ingredient Chocolate Cake

Prep Time: 5 mins

Cook Time: 30 mins

Total Time: 35 mins

1 box chocolate cake mix (I used Duncan Hines chocolate fudge)
1 cup of nonfat plain Greek strained yogurt (I like Fage or Chobani)
1 cup of water

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease or line a 9 x 13 baking pan (or a 9 x 9 if you want something thicker).
2. Add all ingredient into a mixing bowl of stand mixer and mix on medium to high speed until batter is smooth. Pour into prepared baking. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean (longer if you are using a smaller pan)
3. Let cake cool completely before cutting and serving.

Recipe from Hungry Girl

27 Responses to “Healthier 3 Ingredient Chocolate Cake”

Iris — June 25, 2012 @ 12:42 am

This looks fantastic. >:D Great for this upcoming school year when I want to entice my residents to come to my open door hours hahaha.

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 8:39 am

It’s really good. Definitely try it out!

Kay — June 25, 2012 @ 9:45 am

What a great idea to use Greek yogurt- I always have some in my fridge, so I’ll definitely try this!

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 12:50 pm

Same here! I always have Greek yogurt so I was really excited to try this out. Actually after this one, I started experimenting with quite a few other dessert items using greek yogurt replacement, some worked, some didn’t. Haha. I will share the ones that worked!

Fat Fudge — June 25, 2012 @ 1:34 pm

Actually the cake mix has hydrogenated fat:

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

Well I didn’t say the recipe is fat free. I just think it’s a much healthier alternative than the regular recipe using eggs and oil. Also you can use other cake mixes too.

Wren — June 25, 2012 @ 2:58 pm

Thank you for the recipe. I’m trying it tonight. Do you know if it will work with a yellow cake mix too?

• Kirbie replied: — June 25th, 2012 @ 8:31 pm

I’m not sure how it will turn out. I’ve found that with these kind of recipes using cake mix in other ways, the best result is with chocolate.

Nikol — July 7, 2012 @ 10:06 pm

What flavor yogurt did you use? Plain or vanilla?

• Kirbie replied: — July 8th, 2012 @ 5:05 pm

plain! Sorry about that. I should have specified in the recipe. Adjusting it now.

Anja — August 10, 2012 @ 10:17 pm

How is that: Sugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono- and Diesters Of Fats, Mono- and Diglycerides), Cocoa Powder Processed with Alkali, Dextrose, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less Of: Wheat Starch, Salt, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum.

healthier than eggs and oil?!

• Kirbie replied: — August 12th, 2012 @ 10:02 pm

I don’t think you understood my post. I said I made the recipe healthier. I took out the eggs and oil and replaced it with nonfat greek yogurt and water, which is healthier than using eggs and oil. I don’t understand why you are reciting all the ingredients in cake mix. I didn’t replace cake mix for eggs and oil.

Anja — August 12, 2012 @ 10:50 pm

Then it was a misunderstanding and I apologize!

jodene — August 28, 2012 @ 10:05 am

This was delicious and definitely a healthier alternative…I don’t get how other people were so easily confused by your interpretation. Thanks for the recipe…it’s a keeper!

• Kirbie replied: — August 28th, 2012 @ 10:26 am

I don’t either, but so glad you like it!

nataly — October 20, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Hi wondering if it would work with plain yogurt??

• Kirbie replied: — October 21st, 2012 @ 8:40 am

It’s my understanding that plain yogurt won’t work the same way based on some other recipes where I’ve tried to substitute one for the other.

Nicki — October 29, 2012 @ 4:41 am

It was awesome and so easy! I simply used a whisk and used Fat Free Greek Cherry Yogurt and Greek Vanilla Yogurt. Oh my….moist and dense. A fusion between a brownie and a cake like texture as stated it would. :)

• Kirbie replied: — October 29th, 2012 @ 8:54 am

So glad you enjoyed it. I agree! I think it’s even better than having the oil and eggs recipe.

Jen — November 9, 2012 @ 1:43 pm

Just tried this with Balkan style yogurt which I think is the same or similar to greek yogurt. I only had a white cake mix so I tried that and it was really good and moist! Didn’t fall as recipe said into brownie style. Stayed puffy and good. Kids loved it. So easy!

• Kirbie replied: — November 9th, 2012 @ 3:27 pm

Glad your kids loved it! I think maybe the diff yogurts accounts for the different texture.

May — December 4, 2012 @ 10:15 am

Look fantastic,i will try this. I wonder if i can use premix ingredients that made of wheat to be more healthy.

• Kirbie replied: — December 4th, 2012 @ 10:48 am

I’m not sure how that will turn out

nellana — January 20, 2013 @ 7:39 pm

Do you use a cup as in 8 oz or in the container it comes in? most of those are 5-6 oz…

• Kirbie replied: — January 20th, 2013 @ 9:02 pm

I didn’t use it in the container it comes in (I always buy the larger tubs). I scooped it into a liquid measuring cup until it reaches the 1 cup line (8 oz)

Farzana — June 22, 2013 @ 10:50 am

Great post lovely pic ! This is what I sometimes use except I use homeade cake mix ! One can also subsitute greek yogurt using pumpkin puree and if making vanilla cake use applesauce and / or milk.

• Kirbie replied: — June 22nd, 2013 @ 10:43 pm

Wow, homemade cake mix. Sounds good. I’ve tried with pumpkin puree and applesauce before, but I find the fruit taste comes out very strong, whereas with the greek yogurt you can’t really taste it.