The last few months have flown by in a blur. I feel like I’m constantly playing catch-up. This year I somehow completely missed National Doughnut Day. I’m pretty sad over it considering how much I love donuts. I didn’t pick up my free donut or anything. And I didn’t even realize it until weeks later.
Anyway, last weekend I made these mini donuts as a consolation. I’ve made many mini baked donut recipes now but this one remains my favorite. Topped with some chocolate ganache and they are really perfect.
I’ve shared variations of this recipe before on the blog, but I don’t think this exact version. Also they were so cute, I couldn’t help take another picture or two and share them. If you’re looking for a mini donut pan, I use this one. It’s cheap and easy to use. I actually have two to make the baking go faster since each mold holds such little batter.
Mini donuts with chocolate ganache
For the donuts
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking power
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup fat free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup heavy cream
4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease mini muffin donut pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Mix until combined. Then mix in vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract.
3. Pipe batter into mini donut pan about 1/2 full.
4. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. While donuts are cooling, make the ganache.
5. Place chopped chocolate in a glass bowl big enough for mixing. Heat heavy cream in a microwave about 40 seconds. Pour hot heavy cream onto chopped chocolate. Stir until mixture is smooth. Carefully remove donuts from baking pan and dip in ganache.
Slightly adapted from Baking Bites
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!