After all the Nutella creations I’ve made, you knew these were coming right? These came out great. Moist, Nutella-y, not too sweet. Great for a weekend breakfast treat.

I stress the words weekend and treat because even though I adore Nutella, I’m in no way endorsing this as an everyday breakfast meal. A while ago I kept seeing this commercial for Nutella spread, where the voiceover discussed Nutella as a healthy spread to serve kids for breakfast. Every time I saw the commercial it would piss me off. Nutella is full of chocolate and sugar. It’s a treat. Not a healthy breakfast. I would get annoyed and complain to the FH that some ignorant mother is going to watch it and feed her kids Nutella everyday for breakfast.

And sure enough, a few months later, there was a lawsuit and the plaintiff won a lot of money. And now the commercial is gone I believe.

Anyway, I’ve been wanting to make these Nutella muffins forever. My first attempt, there wasn’t enough Nutella flavor. My second batch was perfect though. It’s not as sweet as a cupcake and definitely has the rougher muffin texture. I purposely did not put any cocoa powder in the muffin batter because I wanted the Nutella flavor to come through.

I made oversized muffins mainly because I love these fancy liners. But of course you can make regular sized muffins too. These are easy to make despite what appears to be a long ingredient list. Also you don’t need a mixer so there’s less clean up.

Print Print Recipe

Nutella Muffins

1 3/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar packed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup of Nutella
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips
2 eggs
1 cup (8 ounces) milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 stick butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line oversized muffin molds with liners. You can also line regular muffin pans. Makes about 12 oversized or 24 regular.

2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt.

3. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, Nutella and vinegar. Add the wet ingredients, along with the melted butter, to the dry ingredients, stirring until all ingredients are combined. The batter will still be a little lumpy.

4. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin about 2/3 full. Bake the muffins for about 25 minutes for oversized muffins (about 18 minutes for regular), or until a knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

16 Responses to “Nutella Muffins”

1. Kay — June 4, 2012 at 5:59 am

These look great!

I always thought that commercial was so silly – I mean let’s just embrace Nutella as a treat and don’t try to make it something it’s not, haha.

• Kirbie replied: — June 4th, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Haha. yeah. just because it has hazelnuts doesnt make it suddenly a healthy breakfast.

2. Kelly — June 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

How could anyone think something so delicious was healthy?! :) These muffins look sooo good.

• Kirbie replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 9:41 am

I loved how these muffins turned out. Def try it out!

3. Ann P. — June 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Love those liners–so fancy! I rejoiced when that plaintiff won his case. That commercial was a serious public health risk!

• Kirbie replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 9:42 am

Hehe, I love the fancy liners too! Kind of pricey but it makes the muffins look so professional.

4. Heather — June 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Found the blog (and nutella Muffins) through foodgawaker, live in SD and so excited to start reading up!

• Kirbie replied: — June 5th, 2012 @ 9:43 am

Haha, that’s awesome! I love finding local food blogs through a bigger source.

5. Joanne — July 22, 2012 at 6:33 am

I made these today. They turned out okay, I just didnt taste the nutella. Maybe for my next batch, I will add a half cup or so more :)

• Kirbie replied: — July 25th, 2012 @ 9:20 am

Hmm, I tasted the Nutella a lot, but yes feel free to adjust and play with the recipe to your liking.

6. Sarah — October 6, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I am baking these right now. I opted for the 24 regular sized cupcakes, 1/2 with and 1/2 without chocolate chips. The first batch tastes pretty good, but they completely collapsed in the center and are chewy (almost cookie-like) around the edges. The second batch collapsed slightly less – I assume because the batter sat and had more time for the vinegar/baking soda to activate. I will have to tinker with the recipe – the muffins do have a nice Nutella flavor and muffin texture.

• Kirbie replied: — October 6th, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

Hmm, I wonder if they are underbaked slightly causing the collapse? Or maybe a little less Nutella? Glad you like the flavor though.

7. malaysiapeople — October 11, 2013 at 3:46 am

Can I leave out the vinegar,because I don’t like it.

• Kirbie replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 10:57 am

The vinegar is for the baking process, not taste. So it will affect how the muffins turn out. I recommend you leave it in or these won’t bake the same.

8. malaysiapeople — October 11, 2013 at 3:49 am

Can I take out the vinegar,because I don’t like my cake batter taste sour.

• Kirbie replied: — October 11th, 2013 @ 10:57 am

Your batter won’t taste sour. And I would recommend you leave in the vinegar. It’s not there for taste, but to react with the baking soda.