I came across a recipe for baked pumpkin doughnuts that looked so irresistibly tender and soft, I knew I had to try them right away. The recipe is from King Arthur’s Flour, and I’ve had a lot of success with their recipes.

The blog post was as convincing as the photos, stating “If you’re going to bake just ONE THING this month (or this week, or today – choose your preferred frequency)…Let it be these pumpkin-cinnamon doughnuts.”

The doughnuts are supposed to be made in a regular baked donut pan. I actually didn’t realize that I don’t have a standard donut pan until halfway into the recipe. I have mini donut pans and all this time I assumed I had a regular one. Oops. So I made mini ones instead.

The donuts did come out as tender as I thought they’d be. Taste wise, these were good but I don’t think they are the best baked donut recipe I’ve had.  I didn’t love them as much as the recipe taste tester. I like this pumpkin donut muffin recipe I made last year a little better in terms of taste, though these definitely had a nicer texture.

Print Print Save Save

Baked Pumpkin Doughnuts

1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 cups pumpkin purée (canned pumpkin)
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour

Cinnamon Sugar mixture
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease donut pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat everything together except flour until smooth. Add in flour and stir until just smooth.
3. Pour donut batter into molds about 3/4 filled. Bake 15-18 for regular donuts (9-10 minutes for mini ones) until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let donuts cool before coating with cinnamon sugar mixture.
4. Pour 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon into large sandwich bag and mix together until thoroughly mixed. Put donuts in and zip closed and roll donut around until covered in cinnamon sugar. Remove donut. Repeat with remaining donuts.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour I modified some of the direction steps.

9 Responses to “Pumpkin Doughnuts”

1. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com — October 8, 2012 at 12:50 pm

These look so delicious covered in sugar….

• Kirbie replied: — October 8th, 2012 @ 12:53 pm

The cinnamon sugar makes them taste much better too, and it’s so much easier than frosting!

2. Fred — October 9, 2012 at 10:13 am

That sounds good, and halloween is coming up.

3. Michelle Damico — November 3, 2012 at 6:31 am

These are fantastic and really reduces the guilt factor of even thinking about eating a donut. Actually, they taste more like a lighter muffin. I added a few things — substituted 1/2 cup brown sugar for the white; used cooked butternut squash puree, added toasted almonds, added 1 tsp vanilla extract, 1/2 tsp maple extract and baked them in 1 old fashioned muffin pan, (look more like enlarged golf balls) and 1 mini bundt cake pan. Each yielded 6 cakes and we brushed with melted butter & rolled in cinnamon sugar. The mini bundt pan required a bit more baking time — about 7 minutes. — but the toothpick test did the trick. My daughter thought the cinnamon sugar wasn’t necessary (surprising or a 13 year old), but I loved everything about this recipe. A keeper!

• Kirbie replied: — November 3rd, 2012 @ 7:12 am

Your variations sound delicious! Glad you enjoyed these and yeah, it definitely reduces the guilt factor.

4. Nicole — January 20, 2013 at 2:28 pm

What is the last ingredient that says 1 3/4 cups and 2tbs?

• Kirbie replied: — January 20th, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

eek! Sorry about that. It’s all purpose flour!

5. Lawren — July 31, 2013 at 2:18 pm

I tried these out last week and they are AMAZING! I don’t think I waited long enough to coat my doughnuts in sugar because the next day the sugar all dissolved! luckily they were moist enough to recoat

• Kirbie replied: — July 31st, 2013 @ 11:49 pm