Sunday, January 6, 2013

Fried Pickles

Lately, I’ve developed a habit of trying to recreate dishes at home that I have eaten from restaurants that did not do a good job.

I had fried pickles at a burger place a few months ago. DH and I did not like them at all. Super salty and kind of soggy. So we decided to try recreating them at home. We like our version much better.

It’s pretty easy to make. We bought some sliced dill pickles from the grocery store, coated them in a simple batter and then fried them until they were golden brown.

These are perfect with a homemade burger meal or maybe as a TV viewing appetizer.

Fried Pickles

1 small jar (16 oz) of sliced dill pickles
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs

1. Pour about 2 inches of oil in pot being used for frying. Heat to 350F.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour and bread crumbs. Keep the buttermilk in a separate bowl. Dip pickle slice in buttermilk, then flour mixture, then again in buttermilk and again in flour mixture, so there is a double coat. Gently place into hot oil. Repeat with other pickles. Fry a few at a time until they are golden brown. Remove finished pickles from hot oil and place on a paper towel to drain some of the oil. Repeat process with remaining pickles.

8 Responses to “Fried Pickles”

Kay — January 7, 2013 @ 6:38 am

I LOVE pickles in general but really love them fried, yumm

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2013 @ 10:23 am

I love pickles too!

tomzgrrl — January 7, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

I am SO glad that I am not the only person who has something at a restaurant and thinks, I can do this better. Or, I would change this and that and then it would be ideal.

I love your reviews and recipes!

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2013 @ 11:44 pm

Haha. I think the more one bakes and cooks, you start to appreciate certain restaurant foods more but also become more critical too for things that you know aren’t that hard/you can do better.

Chels — February 15, 2013 @ 8:38 pm

Fried Pickles, made these exactly like the recipe except I added Cajun Seasoning! made a sauce with buttermilk ranch, sriracha, & cajun seasoning!!! sooooooooo yummy!! Even better than a restaurant..

• Kirbie replied: — February 17th, 2013 @ 10:38 pm

Oooh, cajun seasoning sounds good!

lilkunta — October 16, 2013 @ 10:16 am

yes cajun seasoning does sound good.
    i havent ever had fried pickles, waht restaurant serves them ?

• Kirbie replied: — October 16th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

I’ve had them at Smashburger and other restaurants