Red Velvet Brownies

Hello February! My January was ridiculously busy and full of more lows than highs. So I’m relieved to see a change in the calendar and hoping for a better month.

February also brings those hearts and flowers and lots of pink for a certain holiday…

I’ve been wanting to make red velvet brownies for the occasion, but I’ve been lazy. Then I realized I could make cake mix red velvet brownies after successfully making my funfetti brownies, and suddenly I wasn’t too tired.

These are easy, fudgy, rich. Perfect for Valentine’s Day.

Print Print Save Save

Red Velvet Cake Mix Brownies

1 box of red velvet cake mix
1 egg
1 stick butter, melted (or 1/2 cup oil)

Grease brownie pan and preheat oven to 350F. Mix cake mix, egg and melted butter/oil until batter is smooth. The batter will be quite thick but you should have just enough liquid to mix in all the cake mix. If for some reason it's just too dry, try adding a tad more oil or water or milk, 1 tbsp at a time. Pour into pan. Bake for approximately 25 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Recipe from Duncan Hines

17 Responses to “Red Velvet Brownies”

1. Peggy — February 1, 2013 at 11:25 am

What a beautiful hue of red! Definitely going to keep these in mind for the special holiday =)

• Kirbie replied: — February 1st, 2013 @ 11:26 am

Yes, this is a great easy recipe for V-day!

2. Sans — February 3, 2013 at 5:42 am

What kind of red velvet mix did you use?

• Kirbie replied: — February 3rd, 2013 @ 7:03 pm

Duncan Hines

3. Carol — February 3, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I just got a brownie cookbook that had RV Brownies in them that looked interesting. It didn’t have the beautiful red that yours does though.

• Kirbie replied: — February 3rd, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

Ooh. I really need to try making them from scratch. I just hate working with the red dye. I always end up staining my hands. It’s probably better if it’s not such a bright red, less food coloring. heheh

4. Carol — February 10, 2013 at 7:36 am

What size pan was used? 8″, 9″ square? 9 x 13 cake pan?

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2013 @ 9:59 am

I used a brownie edge pan. But you can bake it in a 9 square for thicker brownies or a 9 x 13 for thinner brownies.

5. Katrena — February 15, 2013 at 9:31 am

Do you add anything else? I tried making them and the batter wasn’t batter. It was too thick to even soak up all the cake mix… =[

• Kirbie replied: — February 15th, 2013 @ 9:35 am

The batter should be thick but you should have enough liquid to soak up all the dry cake mix. Try adding a tad more oil or a tablespoon or 2 of milk. The batter definitely will be quite thick.

6. Lola — July 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Oil? There was no oil mentioned… I’m confused. Help?

7. Lola — July 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm

WAIT
    I saw where oil was mentioned. Would it work with 1/2 stick melted butter and 1/4 cup oil, or does it have to be just one or the other?

• Kirbie replied: — July 1st, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

I think it should work with butter and oil.

8. Maria — July 25, 2013 at 8:15 am

I didn’t have any eggs when I came across these beauties, knowing I had a box of red velvet cake mix on the shelf! I used 1/4cup of apple sause and a stick of butter…the batter was so thick and not mixing to well…so…I added about two Tablespoons of some amazing Bailey’s coffee creamer! Creme Brulee to be exact! The result was a red fudgy like browine, flakey crust on top and all! I toped em with oreo cream cheese frosting! Thanks for the wonderful creation that added to my craving!

• Kirbie replied: — July 25th, 2013 @ 8:52 am

Glad you enjoyed it and I love your modifications!

9. Missy — July 27, 2013 at 8:08 am

Just made these for my dad- he’s a huge red velvet lover. Topped them off with a thin layer of frosting and drizzled melted chocolate over. Needless to say, he was in heaven. Thanks!

• Kirbie replied: — July 27th, 2013 @ 4:03 pm