Friday, June 28, 2013

Spaghetti Carbonara and a story

A few weeks ago I made classic spaghetti carbonara for the first time. It’s actually quite easy to make and now that I know how simple it is, I plan on making it often.

I mentioned previously that Mr. K and I have a history with spaghetti carbonara.

During one winter vacation of his college years, Mr. K spent the break in Rome, visiting family. While there, his aunt cooked him many delicious pasta dishes including spaghetti carbonara. She taught Mr. K to make it so that he could make it for me. Well, when he returned from his trip, he was so excited and wanted to show off what he learned.

So for our one year anniversary, he “surprised” me by making me dinner. Until then, he’d never cooked for me before, so it was a big deal. His menu consisted of spaghetti carbonara and chocolate cookies for dessert.

For those of you familiar with spaghetti carbonara, you know that an integral step in the making of it is breaking a raw egg and tossing the hot noodles until the egg is fully cooked. Well, Mr. K is notoriously slow in the kitchen. So by the time he had drained the pasta and added his egg, his noodles were already cold. He didn’t know enough about cooking to try putting it back on the stove, so he just tossed the raw egg in the cold noodles, which just resulted in noodles covered in slimy egg whites and yolk…

I came over to his place just in time to see the finished disaster of a dish. We both agreed it wasn’t safe to eat. Next up, he presented me with dessert. He had used a brownie mix and shaped them into cookies. I’m not sure where he went wrong, but the cookie brownies tasted sour instead of sweet. So we scrapped those too.

I don’t quite remember what we ended up eating that night but it was definitely memorable. It’s a memory that makes us laugh to this day.

Anyhow, classic spaghetti carbonara has very few ingredients. I’ve seen more creamier versions out there and we had some different variations in Italy as well. When eating with Mr. K’s  family in Rome, we were told that most Italians prefer using very little sauce in their pasta and the ones that are heavy on the sauce tend to be the versions that are more for foreigners.

I had picked up some fresh made pasta from Arricia Market and I wanted the noodles to really shine. So I made the most minimalist version. This was ready to eat in a matter of minutes, so if you are shy about trying it, definitely give it a go. If you like saucier pastas, you can add a little bit of heavy cream into the sauce.

Spaghetti Carbonara

1/2 lb pasta
2 eggs
4 slices of bacon
2 tbsp of oil from bacon
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of black pepper
2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley

1. Cook bacon in pan until crispy. Reserve 2 tbsp oil and drain out the rest. Remove bacon and slice into small pieces. Add garlic to pan with bacon oil and cook until soft.
2. Meanwhile, in a separate pot, bring water to boil and cook pasta until al dente. Remove pasta and place in the bacon oil pan (which should still be hot) and add the olive oil on top of noodles. Working quickly, crack in eggs and start tossing noodles with tongs until egg is barely cooked and coated. Add in bacon and a little more than half of the parmesan cheese until mixed and coated. Sprinkle pepper, remaining Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley and serve.

14 Responses to “Spaghetti Carbonara and a story”

Sandy — June 28, 2013 @ 6:43 am

Awwww, what a cute story! At least the dinner wasn’t a deal-breaker :-) I haven’t had spaghetti carbonera in ages.

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 9:07 am

Hehe, yeah. I was touched he made the effort.

Janice D. — June 28, 2013 @ 8:01 am

What a great story, Kirbie — “A” for effort for Mr. K, how sweet of him! I seriously think that spaghetti carbonara is the best pasta dish, ever. Thanks for posting the recipe! I can’t wait to try it!

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 9:02 am

Haha. =) I love spaghetti carbonara. It’s so simple yet so good. I’m going to try playing around with some other versions but I really liked this one.

caninecologne — June 28, 2013 @ 9:36 am

I love this story! For Mr.K to go through all that trouble….awwww, it was true love! : )

I have yet to try making this dish, but I will soon!

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 11:01 am

During his trip he would call me a few times a week. You know how it is when you’re first in love, haha! I’m glad he knew back then that it was something special! During out visit to Rome for our honeymoon, we spent time with the same family. It was my first time meeting them, so it was like our relationship had come full circle. They remembered me so well from Mr. K calling me all the time and talking about me during the trip.

Jinxi — June 28, 2013 @ 10:35 am

How cute! I can imagine Mr. K carefully taking the noodles off the stove and draining them, carefully breaking the egg, and then carefully pouring the egg into the noodles… :P I actually had spaghetti carbonara for the 1st time this week (at Bella Vista cafe), and I really loved it. Can’t wait to try to make it at home – I’m gonna try using pancetta instead of bacon to recreate the version I had :)

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 11:02 am

Oh, yes, pancetta is best. I just didn’t have any on hand and it was a really last minute decision to make it. I hope you like it. Hehe, yeah that pretty much is how I imagine he was doing it too.

Sandy — June 28, 2013 @ 11:31 am

Ooooh! I have pancetta at home (from Trader Joes). Now I really need to try making spaghetti carbonara.

• Kirbie replied: — June 28th, 2013 @ 12:05 pm

Ooh, yes make it! I need to go buy some pancetta so I can make it with pancetta.

Efreet in the Oven — June 29, 2013 @ 1:21 am

We actually don’t use a whole egg – only the yolk, plus a tablespoon of the white. Also, re-heating the pasta and egg in the pan is frowned upon by purists because the egg cooks to much – if your pasta is on the cold side, instead of poring the yolk on it directly (which would be the ideal thing to do), you put it in a metal bowl (like the ones you buy at Ikea) with a tbsp grated cheese and heat it up on the boiling water’s steam, beating it with a fork in the meanwhile, until it gets creamy. Also, adding a little of the starchy water you boiled the actual pasta into helps a lot… :p

• Kirbie replied: — June 29th, 2013 @ 7:45 am

Thanks for your insight.

J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats — June 30, 2013 @ 8:50 am

Haha a similar thing happened to me when I went to Tofu House with a friend, we got the hot tofu soup and I was explaining to her that I was pretty sure the eggs at the table are supposed to be cracked in the soup. As we debated whether this was right or not when we finally went for it the soup was already not really super hot and we ended up with just swirls of uncooked egg in our soup :/

• Kirbie replied: — June 30th, 2013 @ 8:58 am

Lol, just the other day we were at CDD Tofu & Grill. Mr. K cracked his egg in and was telling me to take a picture of it. And then he just left it there! He didn’t dunk it under or spoon some broth on top to let it cook. I didn’t realize it because I was taking photo of some other foods and then he was commenting that his egg wasn’t cooked.