Crispy cauliflower bites are drizzled with an addicting bang bang sauce.

I’ve recently become obsessed with bang bang sauce, a creamy sweet and spicy chili sauce that is easy to make. It tastes great for dipping chicken,seafood, vegetables, just about anything really. So I decided to apply it to cauliflower.

I’ve got a couple more healthier recipe ideas to share and then we’re moving onto sweets, baked goods, chocolate and more chocolate.

The other day, Mr. K and I were in the car when Ed Sheeran’s “Thinking Out Loud” song came on the radio for the billionth time (you know the one with the chorus of “maybe we found love right where we are.”) For those unfamiliar, the song is about a potential love lasting until they are old. Mr. K commented that it was one of his favorite songs and then he started singing out loud and sang this lyric:

And, darling, I will be loving you ’til we’re 17

So until this moment I haven’t really paid attention to this song, but I immediately knew that lyric made no sense. What kind of ever lasting love only has him loving her until she’s 17? The actual line is “And, darling, I will be loving you ’til we’re 70.” (Which actually still seems a little short to me. Is he going to dump her after 70?) After I pointed out the correct lyric to Mr. K, he acknowledged that made much more sense. Now I can’t listen to that song without laughing.

This story really has nothing to do with the bang bang sauce other than that I was really eager to share both with you today. If you like sweet chili sauces, I encourage you to try this.

Feel free to play around with the ratios and even try out different hot sauce variations. I used sriracha but you can try others. I also used low fat mayonnaise but you can use regular mayonnaise. I think I’m going to whip up a batch this Sunday to use for a general dipping sauce for all the fried foods we are having.

If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to check out my Skinny Bang Bang Cauliflower, Bang Bang Pasta, and Skinny Bang Bang Zucchini Noodles.

Print Print Recipe

Bang Bang Cauliflower

• 1/2 head of cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
  • 2 cups panko bread crumbs (Kikkoman brand preferred for even baking)
  • 2 large eggs, whisked
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (optional, for garnish)

bang bang sauce

• 2 tbsp sweet chili sauce (I bought mine from an Asian grocery store. Make sure to buy the kind that is just sauce without chili seeds)
  • 2 tsp hot sauce (I used sriracha)
  • 1/4 cup light/low fat mayonnaise
  • 1 tbsp honey

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Dip cauliflower pieces in egg and then roll in panko until fully coated and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. You will need to use your fingers to press on the coating to help it to stick to the cauliflower bites. Repeat until all cauliflower is coated.

2. Bake for about 20 minutes or until coating is a dark golden brown and crunchy.

3. While cauliflower is cooking, make the bang bang sauce. Add all ingredients into a small bowl and whisk until uniform and no mayonnaise lumps remain. Drizzle over finished cauliflower, reserving additional for dipping. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

Bang Bang sauce slightly adapted from Damn Delicious

Related Posts

Skinny Bang Bang Cauliflower

Bang Bang Pasta

Skinny Bang Bang Zucchini

Yum

49 Responses to “Bang Bang Cauliflower”

1. Kimberly | Chic & Sugar — January 27, 2015 at 5:15 am

I love that you’ve combined two totally underrated things to this recipe: cauliflower and bang bang sauce. I definitely want to try these! I will laugh when I hear this song next time!

• Kirbie replied: — January 27th, 2015 @ 10:51 am

Im surprised I haven’t seen bang bang on cauliflower. I keep seeing it on shrimp and chicken, but it’s so good for just about anything!

2. Sandy — January 27, 2015 at 7:21 am

I hear that song all the time (thanks to a teen in the house), but I haven’t really *listened* to the lyrics because I thought he says 17 too! Back to the sauce – what brand of sweet chili sauce do you use?

• Kirbie replied: — January 27th, 2015 @ 10:51 am

haha, that will make Mr. K feel better. Good question–so I went to ranch 99 and basically bought the cheapest bottle. I made sure to buy the one that looks like ketchup rather than the one with seeds in it which would make the sauce look lumpy. I just updated the post with a photo, hope that helps. No English name written for the brand.

3. Lokness @ The Missing Lokness — January 27, 2015 at 2:59 pm

This looks amazing, Kirbie! No one will ever skip veggies like these!

• Kirbie replied: — January 28th, 2015 @ 1:55 am

hehe, yes it’s a great way to eat your veggies!

4. Tina — January 27, 2015 at 3:57 pm

YUM! I love the idea of doing this with cauliflower vs. meat. Send me soooomeeee

• Kirbie replied: — January 28th, 2015 @ 1:55 am

I was just dunking these in the extra sauce. haha!

5. Thalia @ butter and brioche — January 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I love bang bang shrimp.. and chicken too  - so what a delicious idea to make a cauliflower version. These look so addictive, crisp and moorish!

• Kirbie replied: — January 28th, 2015 @ 1:54 am

Bang bang shrimp is next on my list!

6. Jesse — January 29, 2015 at 5:59 am

Yum!

• Kirbie replied: — January 29th, 2015 @ 4:02 pm

thank you!

7. Faye — January 29, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I was dying laughing when I read this post b/c I SWEAR *I* thought the guy said 17 in the song too!! I made BF listen to it several times and he even thought the guy said 17. It was only recent that I took the time to relisten to the entire song and heard 70. I love that song!

I am such a fan of your cauliflower recipes. Do you think it’s possible to sub the panko for crushed parm cheese for the coating?

• Kirbie replied: — January 29th, 2015 @ 3:58 pm

that’s funny so many people hear 17. when i heard Mr. K sing it, I was like “that can’t be right!” But i think it makes him feel a little better knowing that others hear it that way.

A just cheese coating likely won’t work very well. the cheese will overcook and become dry before the cauliflower is done. also the texture won’t be as crunchy

8. Maggie — February 1, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I made this for dinner tonight and it was soooo good!! I would not have expected so simple a recipe to be so delicious. Thank you for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — February 2nd, 2015 @ 2:39 am

yay!

9. I am in love with that song and my husband finds it super boring!! Men, I tell ya!! hehe anyways your’s atleast tries to sing it though!! These bites with that sauce are just the perfect weekend munchies I needed!! Yumm.

• Kirbie replied: — February 23rd, 2015 @ 1:40 am

they do make a great munchie, don’t they? My husband actually likes a lot of of the slower, love songs, sometimes even more than me! haha.

10. Michelle — March 17, 2015 at 10:35 am

It’s not really vegetarian because of the egg. Is there an egg substitute I can use?  Eggs are from mammals,  it’s not vegetarian.

• Kirbie replied: — March 17th, 2015 @ 11:36 pm

I didn’t claim the recipe was vegetarian. also many vegetarians eat eggs. If you dont eat eggs then leave it out and just make roasted cauliflower

• Michelle replied: — July 10th, 2016 @ 9:06 pm

Chia seeds soaked in water for a bit are egg substitute they have recipe on package too

• Kirbie replied: — July 11th, 2016 @ 8:47 am

thanks! I haven’t tried it myself yet, but it’s good to know there are potential options out there for people to test

11. Marcie — July 6, 2015 at 3:41 pm

The cauliflower pieces should be raw before dipping in egg? Or shoul they be boiled before?

• Kirbie replied: — July 7th, 2015 @ 9:33 am

they should be raw =)

12. Erin M — August 13, 2015 at 7:41 pm

OMG you brought back the funniest memory. My husband hums and sings a lot. He has an affinity for Christmas Carols. About 15 years ago he was singing We Wish you a Merry Christmas…..”now bring us some piggy pudding, now bring us some piggy pudding” I stopped him and I could barely get out “did you say, snort snort, Piggy Pudding”. He said “yes”. I said, now I am getting that crazed kind of laughing where you can hardly speak…”it’s actually Figgy Pudding” He just kind of looked at me for a minute and said “well, that’s ridiculous, that doesn’t even make sense”. Honestly I was laughing so hard I couldn’t even speak. Trying to recount the story for my co-workers the next day, I had to leave the room, I couldn’t even get the story out. Ahhhh, good times, good times.

• Kirbie replied: — August 14th, 2015 @ 7:43 am

haha! that is the best story of mispronounced lyrics! thanks for sharing =)

13. Chris Webb — October 1, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I can’t wait to try this. It’s gonna be the main dish with stir fried veggies!

14. Rhonda — October 17, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Hey.. A friend pinned your recipe.. Of course it caught my eye.. Due to the Kirbie’s Cravings.. Our last name is spelled the same, which I don’t see often.. Hum ..we may be distantly related!!  Good job. Gonna try these!!

• Kirbie replied: — October 19th, 2015 @ 9:51 am

hi Rhonda- that is so awesome that your last name is Kirbie. Kirbie actually isn’t my last name–it’s more of an online nickname/username my friends came up with in high school for me. I’ve never met anyone with the last name with that spelling though, so that is pretty cool!

15. Shantel McFeeters — November 22, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I referenced your recipe in my latest poast.
    It looks amazing. I am going to put this on everything!!!!

• Kirbie replied: — November 23rd, 2015 @ 12:11 pm

thanks!

16. McMelvino — January 5, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Thanks for sharing this! I subbed out some ingredients for vegan-friendly options (vegan mayo, flax meal/water for eggs), and it was FANTASTIC! It’s the first vegan meal I’ve had since starting an allergist-appointed diet that I was totally happy with. Thanks again!

• Kirbie replied: — January 7th, 2016 @ 12:57 am

so glad you got it to work for you!

17. Chef Chazbro — January 9, 2016 at 9:15 pm

The only thing wrong with this recipe is that you will discover that one head of cauliflower is not enough!  I wanted to eat the whole thing myself!  This is simple, easy, and delicious!     I’ve also thought of a dozen different ways that I want to use the Bang Bang sauce too!
    Thanks!!

• Kirbie replied: — January 9th, 2016 @ 11:21 pm

I feel your pain. I always eat more than one serving of this!

18. clara tp — January 28, 2016 at 1:30 am

hi. i was just wondering. can i deep fried the cauliflower instead of baking it? it’s hard to bake when you don’t have an oven and i really want to try this recipe! lots of love. x

• Kirbie replied: — January 28th, 2016 @ 12:01 pm

The breading is very loose so I don’t recommend frying it. If you fry it, the breading will just all come off into your pot of oil. If you want to do frying, I suggest a different coating batter for your cauliflower, or maybe trying it with chicken

19. Eve — January 28, 2016 at 11:40 am

Just had this tonight and my son said that I’ve got to make it again! We are meat eaters and he thought it had a ‘meat like’ texture and taste. I didn’t have pancho breadcrumbs, I just whizzed up some wholemeal seeded bread and dried it in a low temp oven. Loved it!

• Kirbie replied: — January 30th, 2016 @ 9:22 am

that is so awesome to hear!!

20. Melissa — February 3, 2016 at 6:24 pm

Thank you so much for this! My hubs and I love it so much :) We have chickens who aren’t laying any eggs so I appreciate the flax seed/water substitute I read above. We’ll be bringing this to a friends house for Superbowl! Making 2 whole heads haha!

• Kirbie replied: — February 4th, 2016 @ 10:19 am

yay! Hmm, maybe I should make this for Super Bowl!

21. Gwynn — February 7, 2016 at 12:00 am

I was actually having a very “feeling down” moment when I read your post & I really wanted you to know that your lil husband story made me laugh so hard! I really appreciate that …along with the great recipe!! It’s funny how you never know where/when someone can make you smile…when you really needed it!
    The beauty of social media & strangers I guess????

• Kirbie replied: — February 7th, 2016 @ 10:08 am

Aww, I’m so glad my post was able to cheer you up. I never really realize people are reading until they comment and every once in a while I get a beautiful comment like yours as it makes me really happy. Your comment totally made my day! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

22. Maria Wallin — February 10, 2016 at 6:27 am

Sooo delicious!! Made this yesterday and it’s a new favourite for us, LOVE it, thank you for sharing!

• Kirbie replied: — February 11th, 2016 @ 12:38 am

that is so awesome to hear! glad you like it so much!

23. Pam Conn — February 12, 2016 at 6:35 am

Want to do this for a party but not sure how far in advance I can bread the cauliflower?
    Can I hold in the frig, till I put in the oven?
    Any thoughts?

• Kirbie replied: — February 12th, 2016 @ 9:34 am

Hmm, I haven’t tried it, but I think if you’re just putting it in the fridge for a few hours before putting it in the oven, it should be okay!

24. Lena — June 21, 2016 at 6:59 am

I goner try it thanks for that story

• Kirbie replied: — June 22nd, 2016 @ 8:41 am