Cauliflower Bread Buns
Cauliflower bread buns are low carb and gluten free. They are perfect to use with hamburgers, sandwiches and more. And unlike other cauliflower bread substitutes, you don’t need to wring dry the cauliflower!
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you today. For two months I’ve had the idea of making some sort of cauliflower bread. While I’ve made cauliflower crust pizza, cauliflower breadsticks and even cauliflower crusted grilled cheese, I wanted something a little thicker and bread-ier. All of the ones previously mentioned involve a very thin crust, which doesn’t work as well for hamburgers or substantial sandwiches.
Well this is it. It’s thicker, sturdier, breadier. But the best part is that you don’t need to dry out the cauliflower.
You may recall that a few weeks ago, I shared a recipe for low carb bread buns. Well, that was research for this. These aren’t quite as bread-like as the low carb bread buns– instead they have a texture and taste more similar to other cauliflower bread substitutes. But they are thick and hold together well and are perfect for enjoying hamburgers and other grill items this summer.
Update: I now have a video for this recipe!
Cauliflower Bread Buns
- 3 cups finely riced raw cauliflower florets (cauliflower should be riced until they resemble coarse/large crumbs; 3 cups will be about 1/2 of a large head of cauliflower but it's best to actually measure it out)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp almond flour
- 2 tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp dry Italian seasoning herb blend
- 1 tsp white sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl, combine cauliflower, eggs, cheese, almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, Italian seasoning. Mix with a large spoon until everything is thoroughly mixed. Mixture should be wet but not liquid.
- Grease the cavities of a muffin top pan. If you don't own a muffin top pan, you can also make free form ones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Measure out 1/2 cup lightly packed cauliflower mix. Dump onto muffin mold or onto baking sheet and press down on the middle with the palm of your hand. If you are using muffin top pan, evenly spread the cauliflower across the mold and compact it down slightly with your knuckles or fingers so that the crumbs of the bread will be tight. If using baking sheet, press down on mixture with palm of your hand and then spread and shape to form a round disc 4 inches wide and slightly more than 1/2 inch high. Compact down the cauliflower mix gently with your fingers or knuckles so that the crumbs of the cauliflower buns will be tight. Sprinkle tops of bread buns with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until tops are golden and cauliflower breads are completely cooked. Use a thin spatula to gently loosen the bottoms of the cauliflower breads (I recommend using a good silicone cookie spatula which usually has a very thin edge that glides easily underneath.) Allow breads to cool slightly before eating.
All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
Did you make this recipe?
Share it on instagram with the hashtag #kirbiecravings!
More delicious cauliflower recipes can be found here!