Avocado Bacon Fries
Avocado is one of my favorite foods. If it wasn’t for the little fact that avocados are very high in fat and too much isn’t good for you, I’d eat avocado with every meal.
I’d eat it with my cereal, I’d put it in my sandwiches and salads. I love it plain, in drinks, as ice cream, in guacamole and deep fried.
As a member of Foodbuzz, I sometimes get an opportunity to sample products. Recently, I was chosen to receive a box of avocados from the California Avocado Commission.
The box arrived, with five large avocados packed inside. I was also given some magnets and an avocado scooper.
After playing around with some recipe ideas, I decided to make some avocado fries. I ate deep fried avocados for the first time at the San Diego County Fair a few years back. They tasted amazing, especially dipped in Ranch dressing. I had been wary of the idea at first but I thought deep frying them really worked.
I first got the idea of making my own avocado fries from Adventures in Cooking. To put my own spin on it, I decided to coat the outside with breadcrumbs and with bacon bits, another throwback to the fair since fair food often revolves around bacon or fried food.
The fries were pretty easy to make and came out nice. The bacon added a little saltiness to the fries which paired nicely with the blander taste of avocado. Some of the coating didn’t stay on avocado fries. I think it was the bacon causing some of the breadcrumb coating to fall off, but it still tasted great and I like seeing the bright green peeking through.
|Avocado Bacon Fries||
- 2 large avocados, cut into 6-8 slices lengthwise (for each avocado)
- canola oil for frying
- 2 cups of Italian breadcrumbs
- 4 strips of bacon, cooked and cut into very small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup of flour
- Separate flour, egg and Italian breadcrumbs into three bowls. Add bacon pieces to breadcrumb bowl.
- Using a sauce pan or wok, pour in enough oil for frying (about 1 1/2 inches deep) and turn stove to medium heat.
- Take one slice of avocado, and coat it in the egg mixture. Then coat it in the flour mixture and then the breadcrumb mixture. Re-dredge it again in the egg, flour and then breadcrumb mixture. Put the avocado piece in once the oil is hot.
- Cook avocado until the breadcrumb turns golden brown. Make sure to flip the avocado over so that it browns evenly on all sides. Mine took about 30 seconds to one minute for each side.
- Repeat with remaining avocado slices. Serve with ranch dressing for dipping.