Crispy and lightly fried avocado fries are a fun and easy snack or appetizer. The creamy avocado is so delicious with the crispy panko breadcrumb coating.
I love avocados and there are so many ways to use them besides just adding them to salads or making guacamole. It’s so fun to come up with new avocado recipes and these avocado fries are one of my new favorite ways to enjoy them.
I’ve made bacon avocado fries before which are really delicious, but this time I wanted to try a twist by coating the slices of avocado with breading. I thought the soft and creamy avocado would be a nice contrast to the crispy breadcrumb coating. Yum.
Instead of just using flour or fine breadcrumbs I decided to also add some panko crumbs for an extra crunch. I don’t love how panko looks, but what these fries lack in beauty they make up for in taste. The panko is so crunchy and yummy so I’m glad I added it.
These avocado fries are lightly fried in oil, but if you want to use make air fryer avocado fries or bake them in the oven, be sure to check out my keto avocado fries, too.
I think everyone else agreed to because they were devoured in minutes.
- Dried breadcrumbs
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Oil, for frying
How to Slice Them
I like to slice the avocados so they resemble thick-cut fries or steak fries.
- Insert your knife into the avocado until you hit the pit with the tip of the knife.
- Run your knife around the avocado so it is sliced in half.
- Pull the two halves apart and, using your knife, lightly whack the pit and pull it out with the knife. You can also use a spoon to scoop out the pit, too.
- Run a spoon around the perimeter of the avocado where the flesh meets the peel and scoop out the flesh.
- Slice each peeled half into four wedges.
How to Bread Avocados
- Combine the breadcrumbs and panko in a shallow plate or bowl.
- Beat the egg in a separate bowl.
- Dip the avocado wedges into the egg so they are coated. Place them in the breadcrumb bowl and coat them evenly.
- Fill the pan with 1” of vegetable or canola oil
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Place the breaded avocado slices in the hot oil and fry them for 20 to 30 seconds on each side or until the breading turns golden brown. Depending on the size of your pan, you may need to fry them in batches.
- Remove them from the oil with tongs or a slotted metal spoon. Drain the avocado fries on a baking sheet or plate lined with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
I enjoy them plain, but you can add a dipping sauce to go with them. Here are some ideas:
- Ranch dressing
- Avocado cilantro dressing
- Chipotle mayo dip or aioli
I will definitely make these crispy avocado fries again. I think they’d be a great recipe for game days or as a snack for TV binging.
For even more tips and avocado recipe ideas, be sure to check out Tips for Cooking with Avocados.
- 3 avocados
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- oil for frying
- Slice avocados in half lengthwise and then remove pit. Then cut about four slices on each half (also along the longer edge), to form the shape of fries.
- Pour oil in pan about 1 inch deep. Heat to medium-high.
- Beat egg and place in small bowl. Place regular breadcrumbs and panko ones into another bowl. Take fry, dip in egg, then dip in breadcrumbs mixture and gently put in the fryer. Cook for about 20 seconds until golden brown and flip to the other side and do same. Repeat with remaining fries.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.