Oreos, chocolate covered potato chips, caramel and vanilla ice cream. Okay, so this isn’t exactly a healthy after-school snack. But it does sound good doesn’t it?
“After School Special” is actually a flavor offered by Humphrey Slocombe, one of my favorite ice cream shops. DH had it a few months ago when we went to Bitter Sweet in the Bay Area. He really loved this sweet treat so I thought I’d surprised him with a homemade version.
When I looked online, the description was Chocolate-covered Ridge potato chips swirled with caramel in Tahitian Vanilla. I could have sworn I had tasted Oreos in it though. Maybe my memory is wrong. But I decided to add the Oreos anyway because it sounded so yummy.
My ice cream is not a custard base. I’m too lazy to make the custard. But it’s still pretty good even without the eggs. Crushed oreos are swirled into the vanilla ice cream and chocolate covered potato chips are mixed in as well. It’s crunchy, sweet, salty, chocolatey. Yum.
After School Special Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 7 crushed Oreos
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- handful of chocolate covered potato chips broken into small pieces (see note for recipe link)
- caramel sauce optional
- Make chocolate covered potato chips ahead of time and keep in freezer.
- On ice cream day, mix heavy cream with sugar and vanilla and pour into ice cream maker and follow directions.
- Once ice cream is finished churning, add in crushed Oreos and potato chips and caramel (if using) and let ice cream maker mix a few more times until toppings are fully incorporated. Remove and freeze to solidify ice cream before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.