Over the long weekend, I made this baked French brick toast creation. The French toast is made from a large cube of toast and filled with fresh fruit and mascarpone whipped cream.
I recently had a similar dish when I had brunch at Bottega Americano. I was immediately drawn to it because it is similar to the Taiwanese brick toast dessert, which I’ve also had many times and love.
I used a similar technique as when I made my Macaron Brick Toast, except that I didn’t do the individual toast cubes. For the bread, you need something sturdy and preferably an unsliced loaf. I thought about making my own bread, but I didn’t have time, so I bought mine from Nijiya market. They come out with fresh baked, unsliced loaves every morning.
You want to start with a pretty big cut of bread. Once you trim off the crust and edges, it gets considerably smaller. I’m pretty happy with how this turned out. It was fun to make though I’m not sure I’d make it often because it does take awhile to decorate!
Baked Brick French Toast
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- unsliced bread loaf
- fresh fruits of your choice
for the mascarpone whipped cream
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Cut a cube of bread, about 4.5 inches. Cut bread cube into 4 equal slices. Slice off crusts. Place your four slices of bread into a small baking dish that just barely fits all the bread.
- In a medium bowl, whisk heavy cream, milk, eggs and honey. Pour into the baking dish holding the bread. Let breads soak for at least 1 hour. You can even soak overnight in fridge.
- When ready to eat, preheat oven to 350°F. You can either bake the bread directly in your baking dish (assuming yours have enough room to not overlap as you want them to all cook evenly) or remove and place on baking sheet to bake. Bake for about 15-20 minutes until edges turn golden brown and egg custard on the bread is completely cooked.
- While bread is cooking, prepare your fruits and whipped cream. Add whipped cream ingredients to a stand mixer and whisk on high speed until peaks form.
- To assemble French toast, stand up three of the slices on a plate, to form three sides of a cube, leaving the back side and top open. Trim your fourth piece of toast so that it fits as the back piece, but in between the two sides. Pipe mascarpone cream alone the inside edges to help hold the brick cube up. Fill the center with more cream and your fruits. Add a final layer of cream on top and top with more fruits. Drizzle with syrup before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.