Beef and broccoli stir fry paired with cauliflower rice. This is an easy and tasty meal prep that is also low carb and keto-friendly.
I have shared several versions of beef and broccoli on this blog, from restaurant-style to sheet pan to my usual go-to meal prep version. Lately, I’ve been getting a lot more requests for keto and low carb recipes so I made a few tweaks to my usual recipe.
This version is just as easy as my traditional beef and broccoli stir fry, but is also low in carbs and keto-friendly.
- I usually use flank steak for stir fry. The flank steak is tenderized with cornstarch. But since cornstarch is not allowed on a keto diet, I recommend using a premium cut of beef that will stay tender when cooked, like strip loin.
- Slice the beef against the grain.
- Marinate the beef in the soy sauce first. This will allow the beef to absorb the flavor and it will help tenderize the beef.
- The sauce is made up of fresh garlic, soy sauce and sesame oil.
- If you are unable to consume soy sauce you can substitute with coconut aminos.
- Normally the cornstarch used to tenderize the beef will also thicken the sauce. If you want to thicken the sauce for this recipe, you can sprinkle a little Xanthan gum on the beef.
Beef and Broccoli Meal Prep
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups cauliflower rice
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 lb strip loin sliced against the grain into 1/4 inch thick strips
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum optional
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium beef broth
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- Toss beef in 1 tbsp soy sauce and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large skillet or wok and bring to medium high heat. Add in the cauliflower rice and cook until tender. Season with salt to taste. Divide cauliflower rice evenly into 4 meal prep containers.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil and garlic to skillet/wok and bring to high heat.
- If using xanthan gum, sprinkle it across beef and toss beef to evenly coat. Add beef to hot oil. Allow beef to sear a few minutes on each side. When beef is seared on both sides, add in broccoli.
- Drizzle sesame oil and remaining soy sauce over broccoli. Stir fry until beef is fully cooked and broccoli is tender but still crisp. If your stir fry gets dry, add in beef broth, 1 tbsp at a time, until everything is cooked. Taste and add more soy sauce if needed. Garnish with scallions
- When beef and broccoli have cooled, divide into meal prep containers.
- I use these Meal Prep Containers*
- You do not have to use strip loin, but you do want to use a premium cut of beef that will stay tender since the meat is not treated with cornstarch (which usually is used to tenderize the beef)
- If you are not following a strict keto diet, I do recommend tossing the beef in 1 tbsp of cornstarch when it is marinating in the soy sauce as it will make the beef much more tender and will thicken the sauce (you would also not use xanthan gum if you are using cornstarch)
- *Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.