These blueberry cookies are a sweet way to use up all of those summer blueberries. The sugar cookies are easy to make and each cookie is studded with fresh berries and cream cheese.
I love summer because there’s so much fresh fruit available and I love trying out new recipes that incorporate summer berries and so I thought I would try making cookies with blueberries.
The blueberry cookies I’m sharing today are basically a summer-twist on sugar cookies that are baked with fresh berries and cream cheese. They’re a great way to put blueberries to use when they are in season.
Easy Sugar Cookies
Sugar cookies are really easy to make with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
You will need two bowls. One to combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and another one to cream the butter and sugar together. To that, you add the egg and vanilla.
The best way to soften butter is to leave it out at room temperature for several hours before you make the cookies. But I often forget to do this and so I use my microwave to soften the butter straight from the refrigerator. Simply place the butter in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with a paper towel and heat the butter at 15-second intervals until softened.
Once you’ve combined the dry ingredients with the wet ones you can form the cookies. Instead of rolling out the dough all you need to do is make dough balls approximately 1 ½” in diameter.
Blueberries and Cream Cheese
Once you’ve formed the dough balls add the cream cheese and blueberries.
For the cream cheese, you want to cut it into cubes approximately 1 cm x 1 cm. I like to flatten the dough ball, press three cubes of cream cheese into it and then roll it up so the cream cheese is fully covered by the dough.
For the blueberries, make three small indents on the surface of the dough and lightly press one blueberry into each. This will ensure the blueberries stay intact with the dough as it bakes.
Place the dough balls about two inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a Silpat. The cookies only need about 10 minutes to bake at 350°F.
- 2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz cream cheese cut into cubes about 1cm x 1cm
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture until dough forms.
- Take dough ball about 1 1/2 inch in diameter. Flatten ball and stick in 3 small pieces of cream cheese onto surface. Then gradually roll dough ball back up so that it covers the cream cheese. Add about four fresh blueberries to the top of the dough ball, making small indents so that they stay in the dough. Place on baking sheet lined with silpat mat or parchment paper. Repeat with remaining dough, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake about 10 minutes in the oven, or until golden.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.