Caprese chicken is an easy, one-pan meal ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s a fun and flavorful spin on caprese salad.
The end of Labor Day weekend is always a little sad for me because it signifies the end of summer. I’m not quite ready to completely forget summer though, so I plan on making summery dishes, like chicken caprese, as long as I can.
This dish inspired by the classic caprese salad and contains all the ingredients including fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, basil and balsamic vinegar.
Chicken is seared until golden brown and then topped with fresh mozzarella. I then let the mozzarella melt over the chicken before topping it with blistered cherry tomatoes. It’s then finished with shredded basil and a balsamic glaze.
- Canola oil
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Balsamic glaze
Instead of using balsamic vinegar, I use balsamic glaze which is balsamic vinegar that has been reduced until thickened. Instead of dribbling off like the vinegar, the glaze is thick enough to hold its form when drizzled over the chicken.
You can buy balsamic glaze at the grocery store, online, or you can make your own by reducing balsamic vinegar until thickened. I purchased mine on Amazon*.
How to Make One-Pan Chicken Caprese
This really is a fast recipe and I love that you only need one pan. Less clean-up is always good.
The first thing you do is cook the chicken in the pan until it has a nice golden sear on both sides. About two minutes before it’s done, add the halved cherry tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes with the chicken until the tomatoes are heated and blistered. You don’t want to cook them too long otherwise, they will completely break down.
Once the tomatoes are blistered, place sliced cheese on top of the chicken and cover the pan. Once the cheese is melted the dish is ready to serve. Place the chicken on a plate, top with the tomatoes, basil, and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
This is a really light and flavorful meal that’s perfect for summer. If you want some more summer dinner recipes you should give these a try, too:
- Chicken Teriyaki Pineapple Bowls
- One-Pot Lasagna Zucchini Noodles
- Poke Bowl
- Bruschetta Chicken Zucchini Noodles
- Lemon Garlic Chicken
*Some of the links contained in this post are affiliate links. Much like referral codes, this means I earn a small commission if you purchase a product I referred (at no extra charge to you).
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 (4-oz) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- ½ lb cherry tomatoes halved
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella sliced into 4 discs
- 2 tbsp shredded basil
- 2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- In a large skillet, add oil and bring to medium high heat. Add in chicken breasts and cook a few minutes on each side until chicken breasts are cooked, with a golden brown sear on both sides.
- About 2 minutes before chicken is finished, add in tomato halves and cook until tomatoes are heated and skin is lightly blistered.
- Top chicken breasts with mozzarella slices. Turn off stove and cover skillet with lid to allow cheese to melt over the chicken.
- Dish out the chicken. Top tomatoes over cheese. Sprinkle chicken with basil. Drizzle with balsamic glaze.
- Chicken breasts are quite thick, so I sliced them in half lengthwise to reduce the thickness, which makes them easier to cook and serve.
- I used this baslamic glaze which I purchased on Amazon*.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.