I have one more Halloween themed treat to share. This is a twist on traditional caramel popcorn balls, which I always find way too sweet. So to fix that, I made cheddar and caramel popcorn balls.
These are also super easy to make, so it’s perfect for an upcoming Halloween party. It’s like making rice krispies treats but with popcorn instead of cereal.
I had some GH Cretors Chicago popcorn mix, which is available at Costco. I love that sweet and salty combo. And it made me think, why not make popcorn balls with it?
The cheddar popcorn keeps the popcorn balls from being overwhelmingly sweet. The popcorn balls are a little softer than traditional ones because the cheddar popcorn doesn’t have the hard caramel shell. I still like how they came out though.
Cheddar Caramel Popcorn Balls
- 6-7 cups of Chicago popcorn mix
- 1/2 bag or about 15 large marshmallows
- 1 tbsp butter
- Melt butter and marshmallows on stove top or in microwave. Pour in 6 cups of popcorn and mix.
- Using hands and working quickly, make round popcorn balls by squeezing together popcorn coated in marshmallows together.
- The popcorn won't stick to the marshmallow as well as rice krispies so you may need to stick a few more popcorn kernels onto the outside of your balls so that the marshmallow areas are completely covered. If you have a lot of leftover marshmallow at the end, add in another cup of popcorn. Let set before eating.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.