This chocolate avocado banana bread doesn’t use oil or butter. Instead, avocado replaces the oil, creating a rich, moist chocolate banana bread. The best part is, you can make everything in the blender or food processor.
I love the smell of banana bread baking in the oven. If it wasn’t for my lack of self-control, I’d make banana bread at least once a week.
This banana bread tasted as good as it smelled. I didn’t miss the oil at all. The avocado adds a layer of richness and moisture, even more so than when using butter or oil.
I sprinkled the top with mini chocolate chips to make the loaf prettier and more chocolatey.
I ate half this loaf right after I put down my camera. I’ll definitely be making this one again!
Chocolate Avocado Banana Bread
- 1/2 of a medium ripe avocado cubed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large ripe bananas sliced
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder make sure to use regular and not dutch processed
- 3/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease the interior of a 9 x 5 inch loaf pan.
- In a blender or food processor, add avocado, egg, vanilla and bananas. Blend until smooth.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Blend or pulse until batter is smooth. This should only take a few seconds. You may need to use a spatula to scrape the sides or the bottom to make sure all the flour gets mixed with the batter.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Sprinkle surface evenly with chocolate chips so that it covers most of the surface. Bake for about 50 minutes. The top of the loaf should bounce back if pressure is applied and a toothpick inserted should come out clean (except for any melted chocolate that might get on it). Allow bread to cool slightly before slicing and serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.