Even though I already have a favorite chocolate muffin recipe, which I think is the best I’ve come across so far, I’m always open to trying new ones.
This one for chocolate espresso muffins caught my attention because I do love the combination of chocolate with coffee.
The muffins came out tender and you could taste both the chocolate and espresso flavors, though the espresso is quite light so it’s not exactly a mocha muffin. It doesn’t beat the other recipe that I love so much, but it was fun to try and satisfied my chocolate muffin cravings. You can view the full recipe here.
Chocolate Espresso Muffins
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line twelve 1/2-cup muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the espresso with the hot water and let it sit until the espresso dissolves. Add buttermilk, oil, eggs and vanilla and whisk until well blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. Mix in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center of muffins comes out clean. Transfer muffins to rack and cool.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.