These chocolate cupcakes topped with chocolate ganache are a sweet treat, but add a mini donut on top and you get a decadent dessert. I topped my cupcakes with my mini baked donuts with sprinkles.
I’ve been obsessed with the mini donuts ever since making a yogurt version here and a chocolate and sprinkles version with a different recipe here. I haven’t found any new recipes that I wanted to try, but I was thinking of what else I could do with mini donuts. And then I thought to decorate some cupcakes with them. I got the idea from JustJenn, who came up with coffee and donuts cupcakes.
I made some chocolate cupcakes, using Hershey’s perfect chocolate cake recipe. I frosted some cupcakes with whipped cream and added the donuts on top and I frosted some with chocolate ganache, and then put donuts on top.
I used the chocolate and sprinkles donuts recipe. These came out so cute! I wish I could take credit for the idea, but I remember seeing a donut cupcake design before, and that’s how I got the idea. Next time I have to go to an event with lots of kids, I’m going to make these cupcakes.
This was my first time trying to frost with chocolate ganache. The frosting held up pretty well. You need to let the ganache cool and set for a while before you can pipe with it. Personally, the chocolate ganache plus chocolate cupcake was a bit too sweet. So I preferred the ones with the whipped cream. But they both tasted pretty good.
For the Cupcakes
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa natural
- 1-1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
For the Ganache
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to 25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
How to Make the Ganache
- Heat heavy cream in a small pot. Be careful to not let it boil over. Once it begins to boil, remove from the stove.
- Pour heavy cream into bowl of chopped chocolate. Stir and mix until chocolate is completely melted.
- Let ganache cool and set before putting it in a piping bag and frosting cupcakes
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.