A few weeks ago I had flatbread as an appetizer at a restaurant and didn’t really enjoy it. The edges lacked crunch and the middle was too thin for my preference.
So I decided to make my own. I always knew flatbread wasn’t too hard to make. I just didn’t get around to it until now.
Once I made the flatbread, I rummaged around the fridge for toppings. Mozzarella cheese, bacon and spinach. And Mr. K loves when flatbreads are served with a cracked egg on top, so I made sure to include that as well.
I was pretty happy with how this flatbread pizza came out. The crust was super crunchy and not too thin. The spinach and bacon made a delicious combination. And fried eggs are good on almost anything.
As a quick reminder, there’s still time to enter my mug cake mix and mug set giveaway here.
Flatbread with Bacon, Spinach and Fried Egg
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 tsp instant yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup warm water 100-110F
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices of bacon
- About 8-10 pieces of small fresh spinach leaves
- 2 medium eggs
- Add flour, yeast and salt to bowl of stand mixer. Add oil and water and use dough attachment to mix until dough forms a ball. Knead on medium speed for about 5 minutes.
- Lightly oil large glass bowl and place dough ball in. Cover lightly with towel or plastic wrap and let rise until double the volume about 1 1/2 hours.
- Split dough into two pieces. Roll out into thin long ovals, about 1 1/2 feet long. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook bacon strips about halfway. Slice into 1 inch wide pieces. Add spinach leaves into the oil and cook for a few seconds, just so it begins to start cooking but is still mostly raw.
- Spread mozzarella cheese across surface. Place pieces of bacon and spinach on top of cheese. Crack 2 eggs on top. Bake for about 15 minutes until crust is brown and egg white is cooked.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.