- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp raw hazelnuts
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3.5 oz dark chocolate 60% - 70% cacoa
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter an 9-inch tart dish or cake pan and line with aluminum foil.
- Toast the hazelnuts in the oven or in a nonstick sauté pan on medium heat for 5 minutes. Cool for a few minutes, then place the nuts in a food processor and pulse until the nuts become powder, with a flour-like texture. (I used ground hazelnuts so I skipped this step)
- Break the chocolate into pieces, and microwave it with the butter for 1 minute on high. Stir it — if the chocolate is not melted or close, repeat. Once everything is melted, stir in the cocoa powder.
- Mix together the sugars, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Add the hazelnut powder and chocolate/butter mixture and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a 9-inch round pan and bake for about 25 minutes (a toothpick inserted into the cake will come out with wet crumbs). Cool to room temperature on a rack.
Recipe adapted from Sugarlaws