This flourless chocolate cake only has three ingredients and is very easy to make. It has a rich and fudgy texture and will cure your chocolate craving.
I’ve been on a flourless cake kick lately and the obsession continues with this easy flourless chocolate cake I’m sharing today.
I’ve already made a flourless Nutella cake and a peanut butter one, so it just made sense to round out the collection with a chocolate one. If you love rich and fudgy chocolate desserts, I think you’re going to really love this recipe.
Unlike other versions I’ve seen, this flourless cake recipe is so easy. You only need three ingredients to make it and it doesn’t take forever to make. I love it plain but I think serving it with fresh berries or other toppings would add a nice touch.
This cake has a very rich chocolate flavor, similar to other flourless chocolate cakes I’ve eaten. The texture is pretty dense and is not as spongy as my other flourless cakes, but I still really like it. It’s so fudgy and definitely cures a chocolate craving.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips
- Unsalted butter
How to Make the Cake
Place the chocolate chips in a heatproof bowl and melt them in 30-second increments in the microwave. Stir between every 30 seconds until the chocolate is smooth.
Using a mixer, beat the eggs at a high speed until they’ve tripled in volume. Mine took about 7 minutes. If you use a stand mixer, fit it with the whisk attachment.
Take 1/3 of the egg mixture and add it to the melted chocolate. Stir in a clockwise motion until the egg disappears into the chocolate. Add a little more of the eggs and stir them in. Mix in the last part of the eggs and once the chocolate mixture is smooth and you don’t see any egg streaks the batter is ready.
You will want to bake the cake in a 6 or 7-inch springform pan. First, grease the pan and then line it with parchment paper. This will make it easy to remove the cake. Without the parchment, the cake might not release from the pan even if it’s greased.
Pour the batter into your prepared pan and bake the cake for about 25 minutes in a 350°F oven or until an inserted knife comes out clean.
Once the cake is cooled, release the latch on the pan and transfer the cake to a serving platter.
You will want to use either semisweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips for this cake. I don’t recommend using bittersweet chocolate because it won’t be sweet enough.
The key to this recipe is whipping the egg whites. You want to whip them until they’ve tripled in size and that’s it. Overwhipped whites can be dry which will make your cake dry.
The other important step is combining the whipped eggs with the melted chocolate. Be sure to fold the egg whites into the chocolate with a rubber spatula – don’t stir. Stirring will deflate the egg whites.
You can serve the cake plain or I think whipped cream or ice cream with fruit like fresh raspberries or strawberries would be a good topping. You could also drizzle it with chocolate ganache or dust the cake with powdered sugar.
More Flourless Cake Recipes
I have a whole post with 31 flourless dessert recipes or here are a few other recipes you might like to try:
Three Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 7 oz semisweet or milk chocolate chips don't use bittersweet as the cake won't be sweet enough
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and then line a 6-7 inch spring foam pan with parchment paper. (make sure to grease first and then line with paper because the cake will still stick if pan is only greased.)
- Place chocolate chips and butter into a microwave safe bowl and microwave at 30 second intervals until completely melted. Make sure to stir in between each of the 30 second intervals until smooth. Mine was done at about 1 min 30 seconds.
- Beat eggs at high speed in stand mixer for about 7 minutes until almost triple in volume.
- Add 1/3 of egg mixture into melted chocolate and stir in clockwise motion until no egg streaks remain. Repeat with another 1/3 of egg mixture and then again with final third.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for about 22-25 minutes until knife inserted comes out clean.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.