4 Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake
Whether you’re in the mood for a quick treat or you’re looking for something easy and special to make for Valentine’s Day, this flourless chocolate mug cake should do the trick.
After taking a month hiatus from baking desserts, this weekend I went a little crazy. I baked dozens of cookies, fried beignets, and microwaved half a dozen versions of flourless chocolate mug cakes. It was fun to have the house smelling like chocolate again, but now I have way too many sweets lying around, making it far too easy to grab a cookie whenever I pass by the kitchen. I really need better self-control.
As I was making these cakes, I realized we didn’t have any fresh berries to eat them with. So I asked Mr. K if he could do a quick run to the nearby market to buy me a carton of eggs and a pack of strawberries, specifying to get pretty ones since I’d also be using them for these photos. To my surprise, he was gone nearly an hour.
When he returned, he had two bags of groceries. Not only did he buy my strawberries and eggs, but he also bought a bunch of instant cup of noodles and two giant chocolate bars. Definitely not on the grocery list. And he told me he wasn’t sure what I meant by “pretty ones” so he looked through the eggs and bought a carton of eggs with the smoothest shells…
You guys know what I meant when I specified to “get pretty ones” right? (I was referring to the strawberries.) I guess next time I’ll be even more specific.
Luckily the strawberries were also pretty and went very well with this rich chocolate cake. This cake is the perfect little cake to make if you don’t have the energy or time to bake a whole cake. (P.S. If you like this recipe, my 5-Minute Mug Cake book also makes a great Valentine’s Day gift!)
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Here is a video I made for a related mug cake, 3 Ingredient Flourless Nutella Mug Cake!
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tbsp dutch processed cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
In a large microwave-safe mug (at least 12 oz), add chocolate chips and heavy cream. Heat for about 40 seconds in the microwave and then whisk until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Add in remaining ingredients and whisk vigorously so that you do break down the egg. Whisk until the egg is fully incorporated and the batter is smooth.
Microwave cake for about 1 minute. Cake will rise extremely high while in the microwave, probably passing the top of the mug, and will the sink back down once the cooking has stopped. Cake should be solid and completely cooked but slightly wet around the edges. Rest the cake for about 20 minutes so that the flavors fully develop.
You can remove cake and place it into a smaller cup or bowl as the cake will continue to shrink and condense as it cools. Top with powdered sugar and fresh fruit before serving.
- This cake cannot be cooked in a small mug even though the final result will be smaller than a regular sized mug. When it cooks it will rise extremely high so you must make it in an oversized mug otherwise it will spill and make a mess in your microwave. Once it's cooked the cake will shrink. For a pretty presentation, you can transfer the cake to a smaller mug or bowl. For the photos in the post, I actually cut them in half and stuffed each half into small cups.
- Make sure you give the cake some time to rest so the flavors fully develop. After it cooks the chocolate flavor will not yet be as rich, and it might taste slightly eggy, but that goes away after you give it some time to cool.
- I prefer my chocolate desserts less sweet and with a deep chocolate flavor. If you like sweeter desserts, you can always add a little sugar to the batter or top the cake with frosting or a glaze before serving.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have. All images and content are © Kirbie's Cravings.
4 Ingredient Flourless Chocolate Mug Cake
Amount Per Serving (1 cake)
Calories 389 Calories from Fat 243
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27g 42%
Saturated Fat 15g 75%
Cholesterol 209mg 70%
Sodium 81mg 3%
Potassium 365mg 10%
Total Carbohydrates 25g 8%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 9g 18%
Vitamin A 9.8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.