This French toast grilled cheese makes a delicious breakfast: thick slices of French toast, melted cheese and crispy bacon. And some syrup to tie it all together.
As you can tell, I’m on a French toast kick. After making my French toast pull apart muffins, about half a dozen other French toast recipes popped into my head. I immediately had to go out to buy more bread.
When I thought about a new way to serve French toast, a sandwich was the first thing to come to mind. I love the idea of sweet and savory together and this French toast grilled cheese is a fun way to serve this classic breakfast.
I’m pretty pleased with how these turned out. You just make your French toast as planned and then add some cheese and bacon to make a sandwich. I also drizzle syrup on top to get the full French toast effect. It’s a little messy, but delicious.
The Best Bread for French Toast
For this breakfast sandwich, I think the best bread to use is challah. It’s both sturdy and also soft and rich, which is perfect for French Toast.
I haven’t tested this recipe with other types of bread, but any sturdy thick-sliced bread should work fine. In addition to the bread you will also need:
- Heavy cream
- White cheddar cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Maple syrup
You start by making the French toast first. Dip the bread slices in a mixture of cream, milk, and honey and then cook it in a non-stick skillet until golden brown on both sides.
Once you’ve cooked all of the bread, place two slices back in the hot pan. Place the cheese and bacon on top of each slice and then top with another piece of French toast.
Cook the sandwiches on both sides until the cheese has melted. I lightly press on the sandwiches while they cook so the cheese melts faster.
Serve with a side of maple syrup.
If you like a sweet and savory breakfast this is a fun one to try. I hope you enjoy it!
More Recipes to Try
French Toast Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 10 thick slices of challah bread
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 5 mild white cheddar cheese slices or cheese of your choice
- 10 slices of cooked bacon
- maple syrup for serving
- In a small bowl, mix heavy cream, milk, eggs, and honey. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat pan or griddle on the stove, spraying with a little oil or butter before starting. Once your pan is heated, working in batches, dip slices of bread into egg mixture until completely covered and then place onto pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until egg mixture, is completely cooked and both sides are a light brown. Set finished French toast aside and repeat with remaining toast.
- When you are finished making the French toast, put two slices back into the pan. Add a slice of cheese and 2 strips of bacon to one piece of toast and put another piece of toast on top, forming a sandwich. Heat both sides until cheese becomes melted; pressing down slightly on the bread while cooking will help the heat transfer to the cheese. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately with a side of syrup.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.
can these be made ahead of time and reheated the next day?
You can try that but they may not be as good. The French toast gets a little crispy on the outside and will soften if it sits in the refrigerator.
Great Recipe Kirbie! I hate HOA and why they have quasi governmental powers to put a lien on someone’s home is beyond me. Why people allow them to do this is also beyond me. We sold our home and they kept sending us letters about a grass length violation! Next home I definitely don’t want one. As an aside, if enough of you feel you don’t need an HOA you can vote them out after a period of time. just need enough neighbors to agree with you.
wow, those letters would definitely be annoying. It’s definitely hard to avoid HOA in San Diego, as it’s become pretty standard. I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!
Let’s just say you’re the grilled cheese queen. These look AMAZING!
aw, thank you!
You should totally be on Food Network! This is awesome!!!
aw, thanks! I don’t think I’d do well under pressure though!
HOA’s are totally weird. It’s like a power trip! These sandwiches look awesome, too. What a really fun little twist on breakfast!
Oh my gosh- yum! I can totally see myself eating this for breakfast on the weekend! (or for lunch or dinner)
You’re speaking my language! I totally ate these for dinner. haha.
I hear you – heaven forbid that trash cans be seen! We were cited for faded shutters (we painted them) and my brother was cited for his garden shed that was visible from the street (he had to move it from the side yard to the back yard). You really wonder why HOAs pick on such petty issues.
Yes seriously! Glad to hear I’m not the only one
Oh boy!! That looks yummy!
thank you! I really enjoyed them!