This French toast grilled cheese sandwich makes a delicious breakfast: thick slices of French toast, melted cheese and crispy bacon. And some syrup to tie it all together.
As you can tell, I’m on a French toast kick. After making my French toast pull apart muffins, about half a dozen other French toast recipes popped into my head. I immediately had to go out to buy more bread.
So I don’t usually like to rant too much about personal things on the blog, but I feel the need to vent a little. I’m not a fan of HOA’s. I hope I’m not offending anyone. I understand it in theory, but I hate having to pay a fee every month and then having my property policed. And every time I get a notice, it’s for something small and in my opinion, none of their business and not something that would “bring down the property value of the community.”
Today we got a notice in the mail that our trash cans were in violation of the rules. They even took a photo as proof. The allegation was that our trash cans were “visible” to the public. It’s not as if our trash cans were out on the sidewalk, or in front of the house or garage. Instead, our trashcans were tucked next to the side of our house, in front of the door to our backyard, where this is a tiny walkway. It happens to be just big enough to fit two trashcans and pretty much every neighbor puts their trash cans in the same side spot at their homes. So after doing that for a year, suddenly we are all in violation of the rules.
It just really pissed me off to get that notice. I may have had to eat a few handfuls of chocolate to calm me down. Okay, end of rant.
Getting back to something that makes me happy, I’m pretty pleased with how these turned out. You just make your French toast as planned and then add some cheese and bacon to them. You can also drizzle syrup on top to get the full French toast effect. It’s a little messy, but delicious.
French Toast Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 10 thick slices of challah bread
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 5 mild white cheddar cheese slices or cheese of your choice
- 10 slices of cooked bacon
- maple syrup for serving
- In a small bowl, mix heavy cream, milk, eggs, and honey. Whisk until smooth.
- Preheat pan or griddle on the stove, spraying with a little oil or butter before starting. Once your pan is heated, working in batches, dip slices of bread into egg mixture until completely covered and then place onto pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until egg mixture, is completely cooked and both sides are a light brown. Set finished French toast aside and repeat with remaining toast.
- When you are finished making the French toast, put two slices back into the pan. Add a slice of cheese and 2 strips of bacon to one piece of toast and put another piece of toast on top, forming a sandwich. Heat both sides until cheese becomes melted; pressing down slightly on the bread while cooking will help the heat transfer to the cheese. Repeat with remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately with a side of syrup.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.