I’ve been wanting to make a chocolate stout mug cake. With St. Patrick’s Day right around the corner, these are a perfect treat.
I even got the idea to cook these in beer mugs, and I’m pretty happy with how they came out. I do wish there were beer mugs that aren’t clear glass though because I don’t particularly like how you can see the cooked cake sticking to the inside of the mugs. I tried washing the mugs after cooking the cakes and placing them back. Not sure which look I like better.
Much of the beer disappears when the cake cooks and you don’t really taste it. But what remains is the nuttiness of the stout, which goes great with the chocolate.
Chocolate Stout Mug Cake
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 5 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 1/2 tbsp milk
- splash of vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 tbsp oil
- 5 1/2 tbsp Guinness beer
- Mix all ingredients into a beer mug with a small whisk or fork until batter is smooth.
- Cook in the microwave for approximately 1 1/2 minutes. Make sure not to overcook or the cake becomes rubbery.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.