I came across a recipe last week for a healthy chocolate shake. I was really surprised to find one of the key ingredients was tofu. Tofu?!
So I made it. I modified it somewhat. I wanted a thinner shake so I used silken tofu instead of firm tofu. I also wanted something a little lighter, so I reduced the calories and carbohydrates.
The final nutrition count: 158 calories, 3 grams of fat, 27 carbohydrates, 7 grams of protein.
You don’t taste the tofu at all. It just adds some thickness to the shake and provides protein. This is perfect for breakfast or a mid-day snack.
Healthy Chocolate Shake
- 3 oz silken tofu use firm tofu if you want a thicker shake
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsweetened high quality cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/8 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup ice optional
- Blend everything in blender on high speed until smooth. Pour into glass and drink immediately. If you are saving the shake for later use, make without ice.
The nutrition information provided are only estimates based on an online nutritional calculator. I am not a certified nutritionist. Please consult a professional nutritionist or doctor for accurate information and any dietary restrictions and concerns you may have.